Author Topic: Can’t trace grandmother  (Read 6543 times)

Offline McKelvieClan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can’t trace grandmother
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 February 20 10:54 GMT (UK) »
That’s not her

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 February 20 11:10 GMT (UK) »
1901 Census, in Ayr. Agnes Sloss, 123 and Andrew Sloss, 10, are in the household of their grandparents David Sloss and Catherine Rowan in Ayr, both born Ayr.

Agnes Sloss was born in Ayr in 1888 and Andrew Dougan Sloss in Ayr in 1890.

In 1891 Agnes Sloss, 3, is in Ayr with grandparents as before, but Andrew is listed as Andrew Quigan.

Might this family be worth investigating? Though it doesn't look as if David and Catherine ever had a son named Andrew - they had Catherine 1862, James 1864, Mary 1866, Margaret 1870 and David 1873.

Have you seen that 1889 marriage certificate?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 17 February 20 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Good grief,  I have been barking up the wrong tree.  I thought you meant she was using the name GOWLING as that was the witness's surname.

On my grandmothers wedding certificate one of the witnesses was called by the second maiden name and for some reason she has taken her name. 

This is like a cryptic crossword  ;D

Debra  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 17 February 20 11:24 GMT (UK) »
This is like a cryptic crossword  ;D
A cryptic crossword with half most of the clue missing.

Was the daughter who died in 1960 born in Dunning?

Margaret McInnes McMillan or Sloss died in Hillhead in 1948. Have you seen that death certificate?

Margaret McInnes McMillan married Andrew Sloss in Campsie in 1899 (not 1889 as stated above). Have you seen that marriage certificate?

1901 Census, Campsie: Andrew Sloss, 29, born Lennoxtown; wife Maggie Sloss, 30, born Glasgow. Lennoxtown is in the parish of Campsie.

Index to 1911 census, Campsie: Margaret McM Sloss, 40; Andrew Sloss, 39; Nancy Sloss, 6. But the only birth of a Sloss in Campsie in 1906-1906 is Catherine McIntyre Sloss in 1904. Would a Catherine be known as Nancy? I recommend a look at that census to see where Nancy was born. Nancy is often a pet name for Ann(e) or Agnes.

Andrew Robertson Sloss, son of John Sloss and Mary Robertson, was born Campsie 9 December 1871.

Margaret McInnes McMillan, daughter of Daniel McMillan and Margaret McInnes, was born in Glasgow on 2 December 1870. Another Margaret McInnes McMillan was born in Campsie in 1897 - might be worth a look at that certificate?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline McKelvieClan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 17 February 20 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have seen the Andrew Sloss and Margaret McMillan marriage certificate.  Witnesses John Sloss and Isa Morrison.  Possible link with Morrison name.  Isa possibly be grandmother’s aunt? 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 February 20 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have seen the Andrew Sloss and Margaret McMillan marriage certificate.
And it tells you the names of their parents which were .....?

John Sloss and Isabella Morrison were married in Greenock in 1902. Have you seen that marriage certificate? What were the names of their parents?

Could Ann/Nancy have been their daughter but adopted by Andrew and Margaret?

Her husband was a salesman and went off to war and never came back. 
Does Ian's birth certificate say whether or not his father was deceased?

On my grandmothers wedding certificate one of the witnesses was called by the second maiden name and for some reason she has taken her name.
The female witness's surname was Margaret Caldwell Gowling. Do you mean that your grandmother took the surname Gowling, or that the witness took the surname Sloss or Moryson or Morrison or McMillan or McInnes or what?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 17 February 20 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Andrew Robertson Sloss died in 1925 at Campsie, Stirling. He was 53 years old. Death - drowning. His occupation was Colour mixer (foreman) and he was married to Margaret McMillan.
His father was John Sloss , Calico Machine Painter ??? and Mary Sloss ms. Robertson. His brother Robert Sloss registered the death.

I realise Calico Machine Painter is most likely wrong but I'm having trouble deciphering the image.

Looby

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 17 February 20 14:06 GMT (UK) »
I realise Calico Machine Painter is most likely wrong but I'm having trouble deciphering the image
Printer?

In 1901 he was a colour mixer in calico printwork.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 17 February 20 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I realise Calico Machine Painter is most likely wrong but I'm having trouble deciphering the image
Printer?

In 1901 he was a colour mixer in calico printwork.

That would make better sense.
So would - Colour mixer (Foreman) - Andrew Sloss's occupation be a similar job to his father's ?

Looby