Author Topic: Mary Anne Nowlan  (Read 917 times)

Offline Robynkc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Anne Nowlan
« on: Sunday 16 February 20 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
My great-great grandmother is Mary Ann Nowlan,  B.1816 in Wicklow, Ireland and Baptised 11 Aug 1816. She married John Mannox/Monnox in Goulbourn, NSW in 1839
 ** Her birth record states parents as James Nowlan and Mary Nowlan. Possibly married in 1808 in Wicklow, Ireland
Am trying to find Mary's maiden name. I had Crawford but don't think that's correct
Mary Ann Nowlan aged 13yrs and her mother 42yrs came to Australia as Convicts. On the documents I read mother was "W" widow???
Mary Nowlan also had two sons who came out as Convicts also same time 1829. The four Nowlans are mentioned in Peter Mayberrys website.
The two sons are James Nowlan B.1809 and John Nowlan B. 1811.
They all arrived around 1829-1830 in Australia.

I cannot find what happened to Husband James Nowlan. Other researchers have him D. 1840 in Canada
I have a James Nolan/Nowlan B.1786 as a Convict in 1819 coming to Australia. (Peter Mayberry List)
Mary Nowlan (Snr) remarried in 1832 soon after as she arrived in Australia
to John English. Hoping this is same Mary Nowlan/Nolan.
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Anne Nowlan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 February 20 17:18 GMT (UK) »
What was her religious denomination?

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 February 20 21:49 GMT (UK) »
From Peter Mayberry's website http://members.pcug.org.au/~ppmay/cgi-bin/irish/irish.cgi Mary was Catholic and born in Carlow in 1787

From NSW archives convicts application  to marry http://www.rootschat.com/links/01p2d/
The Mary NOWLAN who married John ENGLISH was 44 and arrived on the Asia (so seems to be the correct Mary)

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Re Mary Ann NOWLAN.   There are quite a few by that name in the NSW records as being alive in NSW in the  1830S.

I can see a Mary NOWLAN marrying a John DONOVAN 21 January 1830, a Roman Catholic Ceremony that is registered in the Diocese records of the St Marys Cathedral, Sydney.  The witnesses were : Richard NOWLAN and Mrs NOWLAN.  That is all my off line resource lists.  Likely the NSW BDM Early Church Record would be under Mary HOWLAN … three entries at the NSW BDM online index … . all three are for 1830, : Volume 127 line 346,  and Volume 128 lines 359 and 360 (suggesting to me it is written across the middle of those two lines on that parish register).   That record will be scant on info, but it MAY have the ships of arrival and it may have the ages of both John and Mary, and it may include name of the person giving consent (The Governor of NSW most likely). 

https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history-research/family-history-research-nsw.aspx

There is a Mary NOWLAN who arrived per the Asia on 13 January 1830, she could read, was a Roman Catholic and was not yet a married woman.  She was aged 13.  She was a Nursegirl. Born Carlow, Ireland.  Tried for ‘stealing stuffs’, 11 October 1828, sentenced to 7 years transportation.  She was the daughter of female convict no. 26-30.    This Mary was sent to the Female Factory  5 April 1831 for 1 month in 3rd class.  Also in September 1831 for 50 lashes.  And she was returned to the Female Factory on 26 Sept 1831 ‘no further use of her services’.   Yes, that is what is recorded on the digitised image.

There is a Mary NOWLAN, also per the Asia arrivd 13 Jan 1830.  She was aged 43, could not Read or Write.  She was a Roman Catholic and a Widow.  She had 2 male children and 1 female child.  She was born at Carlow, and was a Dairymaid.  She had been tried at Carlow in January 1829 for Stealing Turkeys.  This was not her first conviction.  In the remarks column it is noted she had TWO sons already here, and she was the mother of female convict 24-30.  Her sons were James NOWLAN per the Larkins and John NOWLAN who may have arrived in 1825.  This Mary was awarded her Certificate of Freedom in 113 November 1835.  (35/1215). 

You will also find a Mary NOWLAN aged 18 who applied to marry in January 1835 with Austin WISE.  He was 25 and had arrived per the Caroline.  That Mary NOWLAN had arrived per the Asia (7) under a sentence of 7 years and was in Sydney and still under a Bond.  Both Austin and Mary are recorded as stating they were free to marry and permission was granted.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Robynkc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you majm for that information.
Where can I find a copy of the mother/daughter
 punishment they received at the female factory.

Cheers Robyn Condran

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 10:55 GMT (UK) »
It will be on the Admissions Register for the Female Factory. Convict Records are held by NSW State Archives.  I understand that NSW State Archives has current commercial arrangements with both Ancestry and Find My Past.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.