Author Topic: Orphanage is 1913 Newcastle  (Read 2813 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orphanage is 1913 Newcastle
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 27 February 20 10:53 GMT (UK) »
I somehow doubt it.  I have never come across visits recorded with admissions.  I think there might be a possibility that he may have been sent to another place when he went out the first time or taken out by a relative perhaps.  If he did go to another institution he may have been returned briefly to the workhouse before being sent elsewhere.

I have come across this situation before where children leave a workhouse go elsewhere and then return.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alexander Frater & Penelope Hay
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 27 February 20 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Ohhh Ok,  I have not had much to do with workhouses, tho I find the stories interesting I have never tried to delve into records and stuff. Its all very interesting and thank you so much for all the help and input of your experience and thoughts.

Chris
UK, Scotland and Australia: <br />Surnames: Card : Frater : McKillop-Davies : Gurr : Williams : Russell : Davies : Pitt/Pitts : Sutton: McKillop: Pickering: Limburner: Jackson: Brown: Glover: Wright: Rapley

Offline Caragh007

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 16 October 23 22:40 BST (UK) »
I think the Frederick Frater you mention might be my husband’s grandfather. He was a merchant seaman and the date of birth sounds about right. We believe he was Scottish and had lived in an orphanage for a while. He travelled to the USA and married Edith Wertner who was born in Washington State and later lived in Palo Alto, California. They had a daughter, Fayne Frater, who was my husband’s mother. We have a photoshop of him here somewhere but I’d have to go hunting for it. If you are interested, I’ll see if I can find it.