Author Topic: Orphanage is 1913 Newcastle  (Read 2796 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orphanage is 1913 Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 10:23 GMT (UK) »
As he has a link as a Seaman .. if I were you I would be wanting to find out if he may have been trained at a Wellesley School, before I looked at any of the other many possibilities.  As I say, I am not sure, but I think there may be some holdings of names of those who were at the Wellesley at Northumberland Archives.  Hopefully, someone familiar with that archives may come along at some point who might be able to confirm this.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alexander Frater & Penelope Hay
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you I will send them a email also, and like you said someone may know what they are looking for  Thank you again
 Chris
UK, Scotland and Australia: <br />Surnames: Card : Frater : McKillop-Davies : Gurr : Williams : Russell : Davies : Pitt/Pitts : Sutton: McKillop: Pickering: Limburner: Jackson: Brown: Glover: Wright: Rapley

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 10:36 GMT (UK) »
As I say, I am not sure, but I think there may be some holdings of names of those who were at the Wellesley at Northumberland Archives.  Hopefully, someone familiar with that archives may come along at some point who might be able to confirm this.

We looked into this on the famous/infamous  ;D Battista thread. The Wellesley records that remain are at Northumberland Archives https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793871.msg6505217#msg6505217

However it appears that a lot of names are missing, see
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793871.msg6508989#msg6508989
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I had a feeling that this was looked at somewhere on the famous/infamous Battista thread  ;D

I think there might be a possibility that Frederick may have gone firstly into the Newcastle workhouse  before going into any children's home.  I have just checked Tyne and Wear Archives catalogue and there don't seem to be admissions for that period.  However, there are creed registers which cover 1913 and there about.  These creed registers sometimes give quite good information. 

I don't know exactly at this point when I can next get to the archives - likely I would say at some point in the next two months.  If you don't want to fork out the £30 +  as soon as I can fit it in for you I will check the creed registers to see if Frederick may be in these.  As I say though it may not be straightaway, all depends on my work shifts.  I realize though if you are in a hurry you may just want to go ahead and pay the archives for a professional search.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Oh  My that would be awesome and I really don't mind waiting, but only when you are going there dont make any special trip

Thank You so very much

Chris
UK, Scotland and Australia: <br />Surnames: Card : Frater : McKillop-Davies : Gurr : Williams : Russell : Davies : Pitt/Pitts : Sutton: McKillop: Pickering: Limburner: Jackson: Brown: Glover: Wright: Rapley

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 11:00 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome.  I will come back on here when I have had a chance to check the creed register for around 1913.  I won't forget.  I don't think you will have to wait longer than up to two months - I will go for you as soon as I can fit this in. :)

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Re Wellesley Nautical school - yes it was certainly in Blyth and functioning as some sort of orphanage/ naval training base when I was growing up there. In the 40s and 50s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellesley_Nautical_School
Looks like it closed in 2006.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 15:57 GMT (UK) »
There are some records for the Wellesley School at Northumberland archives which we looked at for the Battista thread.

I recall an admissions book for the 'naughty' boys, those who had committed petty crimes or had simply been 'found wandering' (homeless) but I'm not sure now whether they had the equivalent for those placed from workhouses for training purposes.

I will ask when I'm there on Wednesday and, if the records exist, I can have a quick look for your young man.

Christine

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you :) 

Thank you to everyone  for all the links, and even if I don't find him it certainly has been very interesting reading all the links.

Warmest Regards
Christine