Author Topic: FAWARY road name in Custom House  (Read 410 times)

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
FAWARY road name in Custom House
« on: Tuesday 18 February 20 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I’d be grateful if someone could help with this road name.  I have tried a variety of possible alternatives, including on websites relating to name changes and roads that no longer exist.  My eyes have gone square from scrutinising maps.  It is the address given for a burial, of Doris Rose Emma Double, at St Mary Magdalene, East Ham, on 31 March 1907.

Thank you.
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: FAWARY road name in Custom House
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Garvary Road, Custom House, West Ham

You can see the address on the 1911 census
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 17:45 GMT (UK) »
In 1901 census the reference is RG13/1580 folio 164 page 33.  St Lukes Parish, West Ham

There is a note on the page that states - These houses are built for 2 families with separate door and number for each family.  The 1901 does not have no 24 listed but has 20, 22a, 24a, 26, 26a, 28a, 28.

The roads either side of Garvary Road on the census listing are Freemasons Road and Devonshire Road
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 17:59 GMT (UK) »
There's a photo of a few of the houses in Garvary Road in 1971 here
https://www.newhamphotos.com/p941228376

Pick out the one with the horse and cart in front! I doubt those houses are still standing now.
EDIT Not the horse and cart in front of the Seaman's Hospital!

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Excellent.  Thank you all.  I hadn’t considered ‘g’.  It’s a while since I did this and obviously need to get back in the groove.
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk