Author Topic: Midleton Baptisms 1877  (Read 877 times)

Offline GMTS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Midleton Baptisms 1877
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debra, I have the Birth and Baptism records of my Grandfather. Birth and Baptism give his parents names, occupation, and where living. It is their marriage which remains totally elusive.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 15:59 GMT (UK) »
As Debra said the note on the baptism is for the child's (future) marriage not the parents.
If the parents marriage wasn't registered and the parish record hasn't survived than there is nothing to find.
We can't help you look because we don't know their names.

Offline GMTS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 18:15 GMT (UK) »
My thanks to Debra and Sinann for your replies.

Yes, I can understand now that this could refer to the child's marriage, and I do have the details of my Grandfather's marriage in 1913.

My Grandfather was Michael Sheehan, born Midleton in 1877. Died In Rostellan in 1934.

His sister was Hanora Sheehan, born Midleton in 1879. Died in Midleton in 1881.

I have Baptism records for both.

The marriage I am looking for is for the parents of Michael and Hanora.

Father : John Sheehan. Born approx 1850. He died in Midleton in 1879, age 29 years.

Mother : Cath'n (Katie) Lawton. Born approx 1852. She died in Midleton in
1880, age 28 years.

Having marriage details for John and Catherine would enable me hopefully to find a generation further back.

Any help would be really appreciated. With thanks

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 19:17 GMT (UK) »

Certs
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline GMTS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark, thanks again for your reply.
I do already have the copies of the certificates you sent me.
I have everything except the marriage details for John Sheehan and Cath Lawton.
It would be amazing to find the information but I know that I will probably have to accept that for whatever reason these details are not available.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 19:36 GMT (UK) »

I know but it helps to see them!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 February 20 22:44 GMT (UK) »
After searching all the records locally and indeed for all of Cork, I have never been able to find a marriage record for my GG-grandparents.

I do have a Baptism record for their son ( in Midleton 1877) which of course gives his parents names.  However small writing squeezed in on the same line says "for marriage see info".

I contacted a lady at NLI and she was most helpful in offering to check it out for me. She said that details of the marriage may have been recorded elsewhere, another book etc  ??

Hello I recall doing some research on this family some years ago whether it was for you Im not sure. I too couldnt locate a Marriage then for John Sheehan/Kate Lawton. I have had another search & have arrived at some theories as follows:
1. Baptism for a Cath Lawton 23 Dec 1850 Carrigtohill Co Cork. Parents Michael Lawton & Catherine Twomey. (John Sheehan/Kate called their son Michael?
2. Tithe Applotment records in 1834 has a Michael Lawton in Ballyrichard Carrigtohill.
Griffiths Valuation records in 1853 has a Michael Lawton in Ballyrichard Carrigtohill.
3.  Michael Lawton Ballyrichard Carrigtohill died 19th July 1885  age 66yrs a Widower Farmer. Hernia. Daughter Bridget Wallace present.
4.  Bridget Lawton was born 4th March 1845 Carrigtohill to Michael Lawton & Catherine Twomey
5. Marriage of Bridget Lawton 22nd April 1869 Church Carrigtohill Father Michael Lawton Ballyrichard Farmer to David Wallace Ballynabointra a Widower.Farmer Father Edmond Wallace.
Witnesses David Reilly/KATE LAWTON.
6  Death of Catherine Lawton (nee Twomey) 28th Dec 1883 Ballyrichard wife of Farmer. MIchael Lawton husband present.
Any of above Civil records are in Middleton Reg District. No marriage anywhere in Cork City/County for John Sheehan/Catherine Kate Lawton. Any marriages located for Cath/Kate Lawton do not have a Father Michael Lawton which leads me to believe that this family of Lawtons could be yours although the marriage remains a mystery was it not registered?  The Carrigtohill Church records are very legible available on www.registers.nli.ie maybe you may find a marriage here but church records usually will not have either parents names recorded. Regards PS Also on Kate Sheehans death record it records a Mary Cotter Carrigane (which is adjacent to Ballyrichard Carrigtohill) present.

There are other Baptisms listed which also have the words "for marriage see info" written in on the same line.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this ? Without the marriage details I can go no further with my family search.

I have tried searching for the marriage on every family history site I know of.  Has anyone else come a across this ?

Offline GMTS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 March 20 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ballydw. Please forgive my lateness in replying to you, I have only just found your message to me and all of the really interesting information you supplied. To receive so much detail is wonderful and I will now start to work with it. Thank you so much for your time. My regards to you.