Author Topic: Mariners Records - Mariner/Seaman John PETER b. 1799 Tulliallan, Perth, Scotland  (Read 740 times)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Not sure if this is where to post my query  ???
My Scottish ancestors were seagoing folk and I'm wondering if there is a way to trace which chaps sailed on which ships, when and where to....?
I have one seaman in particular at the moment - my 3 x Great Grandfather John PETER who I am attempting to lock into some new information as belonging to me.
We knew he was deceased prior to 1846 and new information has appeared for a sailor/mariner of that name:
1.   “The 1842 burial register records that he was a seaman on the ship Hastings”. (fmpast)
2.   Plus an (ancestry) burial record for John PETER, see below:
“India, Select Deaths and Burials, 1719-1948
Name: John PETER
Birth Date: 1800
Burial Date: 29 Dec 1842
Burial Place: Colabah, Bombay, India
FHL Film Number: 523842”
The 2 sets of information make it seem likely but nowhere does it state he was of Scottish origin, or where his ship originated.
Any suggestions that could lead to connecting these records to John PETER born 22 Dec 1799, Tulliallan, Perth, Scotland, wife Janet nee BOYD, with 1 son James PETER, 1 daughter Margaret PETER would be much appreciated.
Barb in Australia
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Mariners Records - Mariner/Seaman John PETER b. 1799 Tulliallan, Perth, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 February 20 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I can't answer your question but wondering how you know John was deceased by 1846?

When/where did wife Janet die & have you found an Obit/MI for her which may give a clue?

When/where were children born & what info. is given (if any) on their baptisms & what info. is on later records e.g. 1851 onward censuses/marriages of children?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mariners Records - Mariner/Seaman John PETER b. 1799 Tulliallan, Perth, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 February 20 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Annie.
A lot of time has been spent on this line, probably not a lot more can be revealed......
I was really hoping for Shipping/Mariner information.

However - a summary follows:

We  knew that the wife of John PETER was Janet nee BOYD see below:
Entry on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk of a Death for Janet BOYD - Relict of Late J Peter, Sailor - age 48 - Cause of Death - (to her) Injury on head from accident - 19 November  1846, interred in Airth Churchyard. (Airth is in Falkirk, Stirlingshire - approx. 27 miles from Glasgow and approx. 3.5 miles from Kincardine).
Scotland's people Deaths OPR 1831-1844 Janet (wife) d. 19/11/1844 bur. Airth Churchyard, Stirlngshire.
Some years ago we visited Airth churchyard (a long way from Down Under) but found no grave or headstone.
CHILDREN were:
1.   My 3 x Great grandfather James PETER b. 18 Oct 1830 Tulliallan, Kincardine, Perthshire, Scotland. Baptised/Christened same day same place. No details on witnesses.
He came to Australia on board the barque "Lord Stanley" with his Uncle Robert PETER, ship's Master, arriving Sydney 1849.
As far as we know he did not return to UK and there have been no family history stories from his family line.

2. The other child born to John and Janet was Margaret PETER b. 08 Sep 1832 Glasgow, Barony.
Baptised/Christened  17 Sep 1832 same place. Witnesses William PETER and Wlm. BOYD.

We have located possible entries with other people on 1841 and 1851 census’ but no further information is held.
1841 SCOTLAND CENSUS
Margaret PETER age 8 b. abt. 1833 Scotland and James PETER age abt. 10 b. abt. 1831 - Address Shore Street, Port Glasgow, Co. Renfrewshire. With Robert SLOAN age 55 (sailor) b. c1756 Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Margrat SLOAN age 45 b. c1796 Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire, plus 2 others.
1851 SCOTLAND CENSUS
James PETER by 1849 was in Australia
Margaret PETER age 19 b. abt. 1832 Glasgow.  Address 29 Waterloo Street, Barony. Boarder with Magdalene McLATCHIE 35 and others.

James and Margaret’s father died pre 1846 which would have left their mother Janet PETER nee BOYD with no husband to support her.
Whether these entries relate to “our” James and Margaret PETER or not it is not impossible to suggest they could be.
No death has so far been located for Margaret, or a marriage. Has not been identified on any Scottish census later than the suggested 1851.

Barbara

Researching:

Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 February 20 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Have a read at
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/crew-lists-agreements-log-books-merchant-ships-1747-1860/    for more information regarding crew lists/ muster rolls.

Unfortunately for the early period (pre 1835) very little information was recorded unless the person involved owned or was the master of the vessel, Post 1835 until 1854 details of each individual in the crew were recorded but sadly very little has survived

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 February 20 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Falkyrn for that suggested link.
Just had a quick look but will have to be tomorrow as the brain isn't in top gear this time of night  ;)
Fingers crossed I might be able to find something.
Some of the family were ship owners as well as Captains and Masters.
Much appreciated just hope it doesn't involve visiting any record offices as we are a long way away ....
Barbara
Researching:

Researching:

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, nothing to add but it may be worthwhile doing searches with Peter* (wildcards option) as they may be recorded as Peters?

I use that option for my Cumming family sometimes recorded as Cummings!

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Airth is in Falkirk, Stirlingshire
Actually, it isn't 'in Falkirk'.

Historically Airth is a parish in its own right in the County of Stirling. It isn't even next door to the parish of Falkirk; it lies on the shore of the Firth of Forth and is bounded by the parishes of St Ninians, Larbert and Bothkennar.

These days it does come administratively under 'Falkirk Council Area' which only dates from the most recent reorganisation of local government in 1995. However this fact is not useful for finding information about the parish unless you are looking for something in the archives of the Council Area or, in some cases, places that are now in the council area although they were not when they were created.

See https://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/parish/Stirling/Airth
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to Forfarian's post, if you're searching pre 1855 on SP (scotlandspeople.gov.uk) you will notice Airth is recorded within Stirling (County)

Annie

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both for that info. I will update my database and family website.
I haven't added or edited that bit of my website for some years, and although we visited the Airth churchyard, and found it OK, it will be good to have the location shown correctly.
Feedback always appreciated.
Barb in Australia
Researching:

Researching: