Author Topic: Blind from ? help required please  (Read 378 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blind from ? help required please
« on: Friday 21 February 20 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Could someone read this entry from the 1871 census. I know it says blind from but not sure of the rest

(If it helps he was also blind on the 1861 and 1851 censuses)

thank you

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blind from ? help required please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 February 20 13:24 GMT (UK) »
My first guess is 'from inflammation 22[?] years'  ???
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 February 20 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Josey I will go with inflammation as it was the middle part of the word I could not make out. Much appreciated.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline RobinBClay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 February 20 14:51 GMT (UK) »
If you ask our friend Google about "blind from inflammation" you will get quite a few instances, so it was a "recognised term".

Blindness (in the 1871 Census) is discussed in more detail here :-
https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/census/EW1871GEN/6

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 February 20 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link I will have a look later (it is down at the moment).

I knew blindness was an occupational hazard for people working in the linen industries etc but as this person was a labourer, and then a carrier, I guess he must have caught the inflammation from a different source