Author Topic: LORD VAUGHAN FAMILY history mystery  (Read 6312 times)

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: LORD VAUGHAN's descendants
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 August 05 12:29 BST (UK) »
Dear Goggy

Thank you very much for the advice.  I did go to mansel 02 on Google.

I now see what you meant!

Perhaps my family came from south Wales in Kidwelly!  I had thought that it was mid-Wales.

However, it is all so sketchy.

The Vaughan man who was cut off without a shilling had a daughter EMMA LOUISE [or perhaps LOUISA] MORRIS who was shown somewhere as having been born in WOOLWICH.  And in Lambeth in 1887 there is a marriage between said EMMA LOUISE/LOUISA MORRIS with a HENRY LANE [descended from GRACE SAUNDERS of Truro and HENRY LANE of RIDDLESWORTH? Norfolk].

Maybe this will help to find out who the elusive VAUGHAN man was?  He seems to have TAKEN the name MORRIS.  We wondered if he actually married the mother of EMMA L MORRIS.

We know virtually nothing of the Welsh ancestry except the story already outlined.

Anyone who can help with possible leads please let us know.

Many thanks again to everyone for your help

IMISON

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
Re: LORD VAUGHAN FAMILY history mystery
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 August 05 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Imison,

A few more snippets:

Births Dec 1890 Camberwell    1d/741
LANE    Henry Alfred C         

42 Camberwell Green, Camberwell, Surrey
 William SAUNDERS     Head     W     Male     62     Stonehouse, Devon, Compositor      
 Elizabeth SAUNDERS     Daur     U     Female     40     London Borough , London, Middlesex, Infants Robe Maker (Mill)    Ellen SAUNDERS     Daur     U     Female     38     Truro, Cornwall, Infants Robe Maker (Mill)      

36 Grove Lane, Camberwell, London
Saunders, William   abt 1819, Wid. Stonebroom, Devon, Head, Printer compositor
Saunders, Elizabeth   abt 1841   Borough, London, Daughter
Lane, Grace   abt 1845 Wid.   Truro, Cornwall, Lodger
Lane, Alfred   abt 1872   Kentish Town, London, Lodger, Lawn tennis bat maker!
Lane, Charles S   abt 1874   Stratford, Essex, Lodger, app. printer compositor
Sloman, Herbert O   abt 1848   Yammouth, Norfolk, Head, Able seaman seas
Sloman, Ellen   abt 1843   Truro, Cornwall, Lodger’s wife
Sloman, John   abt 1881   Stratford, Essex, Son

66 Grove Lane, Camberwell, London

Grace Lane   abt 1847    Truro, Cornwall, Head, boarding house keeper
John S Duck   abt 1881    Stratford, London, Nephew, painter’s (?) apprentice
Elizabeth C E Ayshford   abt 1839    Gloucestershire, Boarder 

The only possible Morris family I can find:

1881 census
8 Smith St, Kingston On Thames, Surrey
Joseph MORRIS     Head     M     Male     46     Yoxall, Stafford, Carpenter      
 Marth A. MORRIS     Wife     M     Female     50     Balham, Essex,
 Emma MORRIS     Dau          Female     13     Woolwich, Kent, Scholar      
 Walter MORRIS     Son          Male     11     Kingston, Surrey, Scholar      
 Mary E. MORRIS     Dau          Female     8     Kingston, Surrey, Scholar      
 Henry MORRIS     Son          Male     5     Kingston, Surrey, Scholar      
 Emily MORRIS     Dau          Female     3     Kingston, Surrey,       
 Francis MORRIS     Son     M     Male     20     Dover, Kent, Gas Fitter      
 Sarah MORRIS     Dau In Law     M     Female     22     Battersea, Surrey

Cheers,

Ros

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 August 05 00:51 BST (UK) »
Dear Ros

You are a wonderful sleuth - so many more members of my family you have found - my mother is delighted and thanks you very much, as do I.

I have just been checking Emma L Lane and she is in the 1891 census AGED 25 born about 1866.  She is there with her husband who is younger than her, and their family.  As you correctly state, she was shown as having been born in WOOLWICH.

However, as I am sure you have queried yourself, the reference in Woolwich is to an Emma Morris who is only 13 [unless perhaps the handwriting is illegible and really should be 15 or vice versa the other enumeration has a mistake].

I am not saying this is the wrong entry, just trying to piece it together as in a jigsaw.

Also, my mother said her grandmother's father was definitely VAUGHAN but changed his name to MORRIS.  Are there any ways of finding out how NAMES could be changed by deed poll or whether if he was a lord Vaughan's son, maybe the FAMILY name was MORRIS and therefore no name change was necessary.  Would it be in Burke's Peerage or Debrett's?  I know it seems fanciful but I am prepared to try anything to find the truth.  It is just that my mother wants to know who her grandparents were and who her great-grandparents were as it has always been shrouded in mystery.

One last thing is that IF Emma Morris of Woolwich in both census records is really ONE AND THE SAME PERSON then it opens up a whole new part of the family as my mother thought that her grandmother was an only child.

Thank you again for all your kindness

Please let me know if I can repay the kindness to you by searching for you

Best wishes

IMISON

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 August 05 03:08 BST (UK) »
imison,glad to see you still up+running!
Vaughan is very much on the Irish scene as well,just to keep you hopping,as is Morriss!
Have you had a wander thru' the A2A maze?
AND,I'm sure that you wouldn't forget to keep in mind the alternative spelling's?
 Fun,Fun,Fun,isnt it?
                     Cheer's, ;D Goggy.

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 August 05 05:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Imison,

I'm still ferretting away - but not getting very far. I'm so frustrated about not being able to find them in 1901. There are only so many ways you can spell Lane!

The 1881 Morris family didn't sound right to me - notice there is a son of 20 and a big gap down to Emma, which sugggests there were other children in between who had left the family home. Doesn't seem to fit the story - but this is more or less the only Emma Morris born around 1866.

My knowledge of London is so vague that I didn't appreciate that Woolwich Kent is practically in London. When I searched the 1871 census using London instead of Kent it came up with the same family!

I searched the birth regs and all I could come up with was an Emma Morris, reg Dec q Newington 1d/247 - the only one remotely in the right geographical region (as far as I can work out).

The other problem I am having is that the only Lord Vaughans I can find on the web are the three Earls of Carbery, the last one of whom died in 1713, without an heir. This seems too far back?

You didn't answer my query about the Welsh connection?

Guess we will just have to wait until you see the marriage cert. Don't forget to let me know what turns up!

Cheers,

Ros

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 August 05 13:01 BST (UK) »
Dear Goggy

Yes indeed it is ffun, ffun, ffun!

I am now more confused than ever.

I am betwixt and between as it were.

You are absolutely right that it is A MAZE in the A2A - it will take me a month just to look at all of the google!

Can you suggest what ALTERNATIVE spellings there might be?  Unfortunately my Welsh is limited to about 5 words.

Thank you so much

If there is anything I can look out for you on my travels, do let me know.

IMISON

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 August 05 18:20 BST (UK) »
Further to postings I have both written and received, I wish to thank everyone for their great help and support.  I have found more out in a 7 day period than I had in years.  I even studied a genealogy course 11 years ago but found very little except a vicar in ENMORE, by the name of POOLE.  He apparently was a local philanthropist and there is a school with local associations still extant I understand.

Thank you again

IMISON

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 August 05 02:59 BST (UK) »
imison,delighted you've made so much progress,there is a very good guide to navigating A2A posted by "mnmilt" in Family History,on this site.
It has, up to a point,put me in the place's aimed for,the resultant S.N.A.F.U.S are totally mine!Do a print out and follow that,it worked for me.
I will get back to you when I've found the alternative's for Vaughan,ignore' Frankie',he was named by his Jewish G'Ma,he was in her eye's No 1,Vorn!!!
                     Regard's, Goggy. ;D

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 August 05 11:59 BST (UK) »
Dear Goggy

Thank you very much for your excellent advice.

I shall indeed go to the A2A guide by mnmilt in the Family History section - I did not know it existed!  Is it easy to find?

I love the idea of Frankie Vaughan!  You've got a brilliant sense of humour!

Best wishes

IMISON