Author Topic: "Can you do mine as well?"  (Read 7224 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Can you do mine as well?"
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 22 February 20 22:03 GMT (UK) »

I said no one had asked but I've just remembered my Dad's first cousin sent me a Christmas card (first in years) with a note saying "I heard you were trying to do the family tree. I was surprised, I didnt think you'd be able to, you will send me a copy to the above address" and she offered to change anything I'd done into proper English as I wouldn't know how. I thought "oh will i" and forgot about it.  If I'm that incompetent she's better off doing it herself.

😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮.......how come you wouldn't be able to put the tree into proper English - unless English isn't your first language ??? Is said cousin still on your own Christmas card list ?
North East of England

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 22 February 20 22:43 GMT (UK) »
"how come you wouldn't be able to put the tree into proper English"

No doubt she can but she has an endless stock of such tales.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 22 February 20 23:26 GMT (UK) »
nope, pretty much every one I know says I'm a nutter for doing my own.

The above is the kind of response I get.  :o

I get a Detective's thrill, when I find something new, but people who ask others, miss the dogged attempts to find new snippets, with a very occasional reward!

Although my Dad and another family member said have you found out where the money went::)

A recent 1857/8 newspaper discovery informs me, my Hood ancestor owned and was coursing / racing at least 6 dogs. Even the lineage of the dogs were stated at the races!

Money, probably to the dogs!

I'm in contact with the other half of my known Family and he is most appreciative and we have exchanged much.  ;D

I think it's a good way of warding off dementia but the downside is that it can drive you nuts !!!

I'd agree with keeping the brain active bit!  :D

Mark

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 22 February 20 23:31 GMT (UK) »
A few years ago I replied to a query here on Rootschat from a gentleman regarding WW1 soldiers from a Scottish town. Fast forward a few months when the research was completed and we arranged to meet up along with our respective partners. In conversation we mentioned family trees and the outcome was I agreed to tackle his one as he said he did not have the patience for all that research. It was fascinating and I discovered that we were distantly related way back in the 1800's on his mother's side. Our families lived in the same fishing village in Scotland.

We are all firm friends now and had lunch together only yesterday. So thank you family history and rootschat.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 February 20 09:10 GMT (UK) »

I said no one had asked but I've just remembered my Dad's first cousin sent me a Christmas card (first in years) with a note saying "I heard you were trying to do the family tree. I was surprised, I didnt think you'd be able to, you will send me a copy to the above address" and she offered to change anything I'd done into proper English as I wouldn't know how. I thought "oh will i" and forgot about it.  If I'm that incompetent she's better off doing it herself.

😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮.......how come you wouldn't be able to put the tree into proper English - unless English isn't your first language ??? Is said cousin still on your own Christmas card list ?

I can, there's nothing wrong with my English but this cousin, considers me an idiot.  I had been avoiding her already after she had told me I should start contributing to society instead of just taking and complained that I had not been paying taxes as long as her so that meant in her eyes I was irresponsible.  I must note the reason I have not been paying taxes as long is that she is 30 years older than me so started earning and paying taxes before I was born. I didn't send a Christmas card back.  She is very arrogant and a bit of a snob.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 February 20 10:36 GMT (UK) »

How rude!  :o
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 23 February 20 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I do have trouble with my mum. She insists we are descended from wealthy Irish coal merchants. I’ve never found a trace, apart from one extremely distant ancestor marrying an Irish girl, and they are not in the direct line.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 23 February 20 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Lisajb
My father's family were supposed to be Welsh, I have not found it so far from about 1775 but it is definitely a Welsh surname, perhaps that is where the thoughts come from

So we press on

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 23 February 20 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I was told of Irish ancestry through my Oxfordshire line. If there is, it is probably a long way back. Not found any Irish yet. Nan said there was some. An Andrew Carney witnesed the marriage of my ancestor James Smith in Oxford in 1819 and Carney is an Irish or Scottish name.

If a friend or friend of a friend asked me "Can you do my family tree now" I should just say "No, I have my own ancestors to research, and it has taken me 20 years to do mine".
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain