Author Topic: "Can you do mine as well?"  (Read 7220 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Can you do mine as well?"
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 23 February 20 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I've had varied experiences. Contacted via "Rootschat" I went and enjoyed researching the tree of the not-related-to-me side of the daughter of my grandmother's half-sibling, and really enjoyed doing it - and I think that she was grateful for it, from her response.
I also spent ages researching the not-related to my OH tree of my OH's cousin, after we'd gained some contact with this cousin, he had a few questions for me, I drew the whole tree out beautifully, copies of censuses etc, and posted it off ( at some expense) to him in Australia .... never a word of thanks!
But we still do it when asked, and it's better for me than my other bad habit - crossword puzzles!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 23 February 20 18:08 GMT (UK) »
It is a bit compulsive I think, better than any other things one can be addicted to

I have told friends that I have done their family trees for that I know so much  about them they will have to stay my friend, !!

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 February 20 18:45 GMT (UK) »
One year I researched families trees for a couple of friends as Christmas presents.  I enjoyed doing it and they were thrilled, definitely better than a box of smellies.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 23 February 20 18:53 GMT (UK) »
It certainly is Bearkat, I did the  same for friends 70th, it was received very well

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 23 February 20 20:45 GMT (UK) »
My friend's father was born in Keiss, Caithness in 1900 and was a wonderful gentleman whom I knew well when I was growing up. He sadly passed away in 1972.

In 2017 I was discussing researching family history with my friend. She is not very interested in family history but did mention that her late father had been illegitimate and she had no idea of who her grandfather was - not even a name. I got his birth certificate from scotlandspeople just out of curiosity and there was what we call here in Scotland a Register of Corrected Entry attached to it. Her grandmother had taken the father to court and he had acknowledged parentage of her dad and he was named.

It was my friend's 70th birthday a few weeks later and she had requested no presents. I did give her a present though - a copy of the RCE with her grandfather's name on it. She was speechless and said it was the best present she had ever had.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline mrcakey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 24 February 20 08:11 GMT (UK) »
I'd love for someone to ask me to do theirs. I've offered people a couple of times but I'm not sure they think I mean it.

I've been on mine so long now, it's a curve of diminishing returns. I really miss the thrill of the early days when there are discoveries round every corner.
Houghton - Lancashire, inc. Manchester
Robertson - Angus
Collinge - Yorkshire, Lancashire, USA
Nedderman - Lancashire
Lane/Fryer - Kent

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 24 February 20 08:49 GMT (UK) »
I'd love for someone to ask me to do theirs. I've offered people a couple of times but I'm not sure they think I mean it.

I've been on mine so long now, it's a curve of diminishing returns. I really miss the thrill of the early days when there are discoveries round every corner.

You could always chose someone to research, although that makes it more difficult to get a starting point.  For example you could research the soldiers on the local war memorial.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 24 February 20 09:11 GMT (UK) »

You could always chose someone to research, although that makes it more difficult to get a starting point.  For example you could research the soldiers on the local war memorial.

I've done this.  It's quite rewarding.  Many of these service men died young so have no descendants to ask 'Can you do mine as well?"
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 24 February 20 09:55 GMT (UK) »
pharmaT that is a great suggestion.

When I was on holiday in St Monans, Fife I noticed a couple of names on the War Memorial. Their surnames were in my family tree so I wondered if there was a family connection. It turned out that they were distant cousins. One gentleman was on the CWGC but not in the book at the SNWM in Edinburgh Castle. I got all the info required and his name is now in the Book of Remembrance there. The second one has been a bit more complicated as he was not in either. The laddie died in Alder Hey Military hospital in 1919. It took a while to get all the required information but he has now been recognised by both. Last year I discovered that he had been brought back to St Monans for burial but lies in an unmarked grave. I passed this latest discovery on to the CWGC and we are hoping to have a proper stone erected somewhere in the Graveyard this year.

I have been in touch with his great niece and she is delighted - we are something like 5th cousins - and hope to meet up in the Spring. She even had a photo of him.

Just one of my family history stories but the one that has given me most satisfaction.

Dorrie

P.S. I also had some help from Rootschat at the beginning of my quest.
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife