Author Topic: "The Presbytery ordered the Kirk Session to remove the scandal" Please explain  (Read 1883 times)

Offline roserobin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "The Presbytery ordered the Kirk Session to remove the scandal" Please explain
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, so much more I don't know !  ???

I think that maybe FS need your skills Forfarian to label their collections correctly.

As I haven't viewed any records like these before & I've never been to a LDS FHL, the learning curve will be huge when I go anyway. 

I will report back & let you know what I find and if indeed I find the minutes I need.  At least I go pre-warned !

Many thanks for looking into this for me... it's very much appreciated.

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "The Presbytery ordered the Kirk Session to remove the scandal" Please explain
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 February 20 05:22 GMT (UK) »
The list includes four sets of so-called 'Probate' records.  In Scots Law there is no such thing as 'probate' so at the very least these documents are wrongly indexed.

Why comment on this when it doesn't matter and you didn't look inside? All films inside have the same name as what National Records of Scotland gave them: Register of Testaments plus references and dates.

One set of church records is marked as "Scotland, Perth, Dunblane Diocese, church records". The Church of Scotland does not use the term 'Diocese', because a diocese is the area that comes under a bishop, and there are no bishops in the Church of Scotland. So are these incorrectly indexed, or do they relate to an Episcopalian diocese?

Again, direct name from National Records of Scotland: https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/overview.aspx?st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=n&tp=n&k=&ko=a&r=CH2%2f724&ro=s&df=&dt=&di=y

Why even comment on these... ??? just being a know-it-all ::)

Of the other sets called' Church records', six are parochial registers. Six are from one or other of the dissenting churches. Two are labelled 'Presbytery' or 'Presbyterial Council'. (The Presbytery would be involved in a case of discipline only if there was something unusual about it, such as adultery or a persistent denial of guilt over an extended period of time.) And lastly, three are from churches other than the Cathedral church.

None of the FS index listings mentions 'Kirk Session' at all, and there is no mention of 'minutes', which are what you want.

A search on FS using 'Dunblane' and keyword 'kirk session' produces five results, none of which appears to be the Kirk Session minutes.

You again didn't bother looking inside before commenting but there are minutes in 12 of the different sets. Leave it to roserobin to check them out and see which churches of those 12 might look familiar and benefit her research?

roserobin, like you I'm in Australia researching Scotland and these recent uploads from FamilySearch with author as National Archives of Scotland are an absolute godsend. There are bound to be many gems for you throughout the image sets available, whether kirk session minutes or otherwise. LDS family history centres also have all the images to parish registers you otherwise pay for at ScotlandsPeople and images to a lot of English parish registers you can otherwise only view from England. In my case, from what I've seen they have many Kirk Sessions for my places in Dumfriesshire, Scotland and all the parish registers/bishop transcripts I need for my places in Cumberland, England. I didn't see any Kirk Sessions in my quick look for you yesterday but I wanted you to take a look and see all that is available and decide for my yourself. Don't let the king of Scotland over there scare you away. Good luck with your research and send a PM if you need any help with the FamilySearch images :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 February 20 08:38 GMT (UK) »
The relevance of my comments is that you cannot trust the way things are indexed on FS. It is always necessary to look beyond the indexing to see exactly what is and is not included.

there are minutes in 12 of the different sets.
None of which are the records of the parish kirk of Dunblane.

Leave it to roserobin to check them out and see which churches of those 12 might look familiar and benefit her research?
Well done. You have got the point of what I was saying to her - she needs to do a lot of research before she goes to an LDS FHL.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.