Author Topic: Secret passageway... how could I resist?  (Read 821 times)

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Secret passageway... how could I resist?
« on: Wednesday 26 February 20 08:49 GMT (UK) »
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/26/westminster-secret-passageway-discovery-reveals-169-year-old-graffiti

"A secret passageway discovered in the Palace of Westminster has revealed 169-year-old graffiti from early Chartist stone masons and bricklayers claiming to be fond of “ould ale”."

An interesting story, but with a specific family history angle too:

“We would love to hear from any descendants of Tom Porter or his colleagues and invite them to see where their relatives once worked.”

A BBC article (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51630630) names the colleagues:

"The men can be traced in the 1851 census returns as Richard Condon, James Williams, Henry Terry, Thomas Parker and Peter Dewal."

Fascinating stuff.
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Secret passageway... how could I resist?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating stuff.

Thanks for the links, it is a really interesting story, although it isn't clear how "secret" the passageway really was.

It was worrying that the locked cupboard had been ignored as possibly just an "electricity cupboard" - if so then why were there no periodic safety inspections being done? It makes me wonder whether the risk of the whole place burning down is being underplayed.  :-X

I'm also intrigued about the historic lightbulb - clearly marked '230v' in an era when 240v was the standard. Could it be they were marked 230v to make them appear non-standard and so further discourage theft by wayward MPs? ("Property of HM Government" perhaps not being sufficient!) ;D

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating stuff.

Thanks for the links, it is a really interesting story, although it isn't clear how "secret" the passageway really was.

It was worrying that the locked cupboard had been ignored as possibly just an "electricity cupboard" - if so then why were there no periodic safety inspections being done? It makes me wonder whether the risk of the whole place burning down is being underplayed.  :-X

I'm also intrigued about the historic lightbulb - clearly marked '230v' in an era when 240v was the standard. Could it be they were marked 230v to make them appear non-standard and so further discourage theft by wayward MPs? ("Property of HM Government" perhaps not being sufficient!) ;D

Nominal voltage in the UK is 230v ;D ;D
Historically 220v-240v.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I'd seen this item on the BBC website - fascinating! Could be a good place for elusive M.P.s to hide away??
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Just how secret this passageway was is not clear. It must have at least one other entrance or it had no purpose. Maybe even several other doors lead into it but nothing has been said about this.

I'm more inclined to think that just this one entrance had been lost. After WW2 when restoration work was carried out. It had been bricked up so obviously had no further use and on the one side had been panelled over. So why the carefully crafted secret door, with lock which no one noticed.

I'm sure also that the dept of works have all the plans of the building going back centuries. So the passageway would be known to some on the maintainance crew at least.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 February 20 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes, that's almost certainly right, John915, but it doesn't make as good a story, does it?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 February 20 16:02 GMT (UK) »
There was no nationwide standard in the 1950s when that bulb is presumed to have been installed. Voltages varied at least 220-240V and possibly wider. Many electrical items came with "voltage selector plugs" on the back that you moved according to where you lived. 230V may have been the standard in Westminster, but ours on the outskirts of London was 220V. Standardisation to 240V came in sometime in the 1960s and, like the introduction of Channel 5, people were sent house-to-house to adjust these plugs and supply free 240V light bulbs for the 220V ones that would blow early. A neighbour's radio didn't work after the change and as the local electronics whizz-kid I got called in to fix it -- the 240V plug setting hadn't been wired up internally by the manufacturer!

What I find surprising, given the oft-mentioned shortage of space in the Palace of Westminster, is that no one had gone around looking for hidey-holes like this and converted it into at least a store room. I wonder what else will be found in the restoration works?
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 February 20 16:09 GMT (UK) »
...Perhaps there'll be another one with the skeleton of a long-trapped suffragette behind it, trying to make a fool of the census, with Lord Lucan sitting on Shergar in there as well?