Author Topic: Gwyther – February 4 1938 Margaret  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Magheragall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gwyther – February 4 1938 Margaret
« on: Thursday 27 February 20 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello

not sure if this is Down or Antrim side of Belfast

A little while since I have been on this site but I know you are good at helping. I am trying to help a woman to find where this is woman is buried.

We think woman who died was church of ireland , perhaps st columbas knock and don't think there is a headstone because family left Ireland after the death. The death notice we have is below. Could be buried with her parents because her family left Belfast & never return

Gwyther – February 4 1938 Margaret dearly beloved wife of AE Gwyther 78 Shandon Park Belfast and daughter of the late Lieutenant Colonel James Duffield & Mrs Duffield. Funeral Strictly Private.

yours

Magheragall

Ps trust all above within rules

thank you

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gwyther – February 4 1938 Margaret
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 February 20 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Her father's service was in St.James Parish Church and he is buried in Carnmoney Churchyard 1925.

Offline Magheragall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 February 20 00:47 GMT (UK) »
thank you Sinann, is that a church of ireland grave yard , are there records online  I do think that is a possible burial site given her own family moved away.

thanks

magheragall

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 February 20 07:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm just going by newspaper reports of his death but they clearly say he was an active member of the Church of Ireland.
Not having much luck with Carnmoney records so far hopefully someone will know.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 February 20 09:18 GMT (UK) »
You could contact Antrim & Newtownabbey Borough Council, Cemeteries Office to find out more about the Carnmoney cemeteries.

https://antrimandnewtownabbey.gov.uk/residents/cemeteries/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 February 20 09:52 GMT (UK) »
A Mr A E Gwyther was people's churchwarden at  St Columba's church, Knock in 1938 according to a mention in newspaper of time,  which looks to be CofI http://www.coiknock.org/ws/ , which ties with your thoughts that fa ily had links to there.

Also indexed at https://sites.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/G/GriGy.htm, saying he was warden in 1937 and 1938.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Magheragall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 February 20 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all ever so much

I have contacted council & they have Carnmoney records & the don't have her or her father on records, so they gave me a contact for the Church of Ireland at Carnmoney, phoned them & they are going to look up records to hopefully
 confirm her fathers burial ie James Duffield in Sept 1925 & see if Margaret was also buried with her parents.   

I checked the Belfast cemetery records online and no joy, so if her funeral was St Columba's Knock which seems likely I will contact them after hearing from carnmoney C of I.

Thank you very much, hoping to find this grave

yours

magheragall

Offline Magheragall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 March 20 18:01 GMT (UK) »
just wanted to update.

one very happy family as the grave has been found in Carnmoney church iof ireland and she was buried with her father

Thank you very much for all your help the duffield lead was key

magheragall

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 March 20 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Great result! Magheragall  8)

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo