Author Topic: Maguire family  (Read 2307 times)

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Maguire family
« on: Friday 28 February 20 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I would like to ask for help in tracing an ancestor from County Cavan. His name was Bernard Maguire (sometimes spelled McGuire or MacGuire) and he is supposed to have been born around 1800 in or near Lavey. He died on 24 May 1862 in South Australia and his age was recorded as 62. I emailed Cavan Genealogy six months ago and asked if they could do research but I have not received a reply.

Bernard married in London in 1841 and the marriage record lists Bernard's father as Peter Maguire. Bernard had the following known siblings -

Michael Maguire, born about 1803. He married Catherine Mallon and they had children in Co. Cavan - Mary (about 1834), Francis (between 1836 and 1844 in Cavan or Fermanagh), Barbara Ann (Babiana) (about 1839), Catherine (about 1842), Ellen (about 1843), Margaret(about 1847), Alice Jane (about 1849), Bridget (about 1849) and possibly others;

Eleanor or Ellen Maguire, born about 1813, married Michael Brady about 1832 in Co. Cavan, possibly in Lavey. They had children in Lavey before emigrating to South Australia in 1849. The children born in Lavey were Catherine (about 1832), Ellen or Eleanor (about1834), Elvina (about 1836), Daniel Thomas (about 1839), Margaret (Peggy) (about 1841) and Michael Patrick John (about 1847), and there may have been others born between 1842 and 1846;

Catherine Maguire, born about 1816, married Peter McMahon in Co. Cavan, possibly in Lavey. They had an unknown son in about 1836 and a daughter Margaret in about 1837 or 1838, both in Lavey. They emigrated to South Australia, arriving in April 1840;

Samuel Maguire, born about 1819, transported to Tasmania as a convict, died 17 May 1896, Streaky Bay, South Australia;

Margaret Maguire, born about 1821, married Michael Boylan around 1837 in Lavey. Had a son Peter in about 1838 in Co. Cavan. They arrived in South Australia in 1840;

Mary Maguire, estimated birth year unknown, meant to have married a Smith, and had children Charles Francis Smith and Mary Magdalene Smith;

Francis Maguire, birth year unknown, married Ann Reilly, had children John born about July 1835 and James born about 1838 in Co. Cavan;

Patrick Maguire, birth year unknown, married Ann Smith, had children Thomas born about 1829, possibly in Ballyjamesduff, and Ellen, born about 1848, also in Co. Cavan.

I don't know if all of the children above had the same mother, I think their father Peter Maguire may have been married twice.

I would love to find a baptism of my ancestor Bernard Maguire in Lavey, and if not found there, in one of the nearby parishes. I'd also like to find baptisms of his siblings and any half siblings, his father's marriage(s), his parents baptisms etc, depending how far back the parish registers go.

Thank you for your time and any help is much appreciated  :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maguire family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 February 20 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Jess54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 September 21 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, This is my family too. Different people say the father was Peter, some say Philip. My ancestor's wedding certificate says her father was Philip Maguire. I have not been able to find any actual documents that I can be certain pertain to our family in Ireland, but of course we do have many in South Australia.
My ancestor Mary and your Bernard are half siblings, with different mothers. I am not sure how to Direct message you.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 September 21 07:45 BST (UK) »
I am not sure how to Direct message you.

To use the PM system, just go to MY MESSAGES in the dark brown bar at the top, and then click 'Send a Message'.

Good Luck!

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 September 21 12:55 BST (UK) »
The 1821 census for Lavey has survived so you might want to have a look at it, if you have not already done so:

https://cavantownlands.com/census-of-1821/
Elwyn

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 September 21 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Elwyn,
Thank you so much for the link to the 1821 census for Lavey and other town lands. I will have a search of it and hopefully find a matching family.

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 September 21 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jess,
Thank you for your message which I have just seen. I have also been contacted via email by Helen Smith in Adelaide, another descendant of your Mary Maguire. Helen mentioned she has a brother too but I don't know his name.
cheers
Adam

Offline Aussie33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 March 22 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Im descended from Samuel MAGUIRE born c 1819. On his 2nd marriage to Rebecca SAWYER ,his father is recorded as Phillip MAGUIRE. But on Bernard’s marriage to Elizabeth HENNESSY ,his father is recorded as Peter. But I believe that Samuel & Bernard were brothers.

You said-“Mary Maguire, estimated birth year unknown, meant to have married a Smith, and had children Charles Francis Smith and Mary Magdalene Smith”-   Mary MAGUIRE b c 1835 Lavey,Co Cavan married 1st Patrick SPAIN in 1856 & 2nd Michael SMITH in 1859 (had 12 known children including Mary Magdalene SMITH & Charles Francis SMITH )
Docking,Ettridge/Etheridge, Feltus (Ireland),Fuge,
Sisman/Sissman (Sawtry,Hunt,Eng),Stevens (Lochiel/Crystal Brook,SA) ,
Young (Lopen,Somerset), Maguire(Cavan,Ireland),Betts/Bates (Teston,Kent to Western Australia,SA & Vic), Berridge (Hun,Eng)

Families to South Australia

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 March 22 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aussie33

Thank you for your message. Yes, there is some confusion over whether the father of our ancestors was named Peter or Phillip. Which child of Samuel's are you descended from?

Thanks again
Adam