Author Topic: Hennessy family  (Read 1463 times)

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hennessy family
« on: Friday 28 February 20 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I'm trying to find a baptism of my ancestor Elizabeth Hennessy. She married Bernard Maguire in 1841 in London and the marriage certificate lists her father's name as Thomas Hennessy.
The 1851 census states her birthplace as Tipperary, but whether she was born in the city of Tipperary or the county is unclear. Her sister Johanna Hennessy aged 26 was living with Elizabeth and her husband on the 1851 census. Johanna's birthplace is also listed as Tipperary.

The 1851 census lists her age as 36 and on the 1841 census she is aged 26, both make her birth year around 1814/1815. She died on 19 Apr 1865 and her age was recorded as 52, making a birth year of 1812/1813. The only baptism I've been able to find of an Elizabeth Hennessy around this time with a father named Thomas was on 4 Apr 1811 in Killarney, Co. Kerry, daughter of Thomas and Hannah nee McDonnell, who also had a daughter Bridget baptised on 21 Feb 1813 in Killarney. Elizabeth Maguire nee Hennessy's only child was named Bridget. But the baptism place of Killarney does not match the birth place of Tipperary listed on the census.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hennessy family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 February 20 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 March 20 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Dates are late for elizabeth
Johanna Hennessy   Date of Birth:   
        Date of Baptism:   09-Jun-1825
Address:   Church Street   Parish/District:   TEMPLEMORE
Denomination:   Roman Catholic
Father:   Thomas Hennessy   Mother:   Catherine Whelan
Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1:   Jas Donnelly
Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2:   Mary Whelan
Notes:
Elizabeth Hennessy
Date of Birth:  Date of Baptism:05-Dec-1823
Address:Church StreetParish/
District:TEMPLEMORE
CountyCo. Tipperary
Denomination:Roman Catholic
Father:Thomas Hennessy
Mother:Catherine Whelan
Sponsor 1 /Rev Jas Keating
Sponsor 2 /:Mary Ryan

Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline dwelch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 April 20 06:13 BST (UK) »
My Great Great Grandmother was Bridget Cleary who was born in Cahir in 1783, Co. Tipperary.
She married Thomas Hennessey, from Lisvernane (?).  Thomas was born in 1780, and died in 1851.
Now supposedly they had a daughter, also named Bridget.
Here's where it gets tricky:  This daughter married a John Welch (Walsh) somewhere along the line and they fell out of the clear blue sky into Delaware Co. Iowa, USA.
Does any of this make sense to anyone?
Because Ancestry says Great Great Bridget was buried in Aherlow Parish and I don't think there is such a parish!
I'm just lost.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 April 20 07:38 BST (UK) »
Lisvernane/ Lisvarrinane is in  the Glen of Aherlow
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_of_Aherlow

Lisvarrinane is in the Civil Parish of Clonbeg
https://www.johngrenham.com/c_parish/c_parish_main.php?civilparishid=2161&county=&civilparish=Clonbeg

Galbally and Aherlow RC parish
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0264

Offline dwelch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 April 20 20:13 BST (UK) »
Sinann,
Thank you for the quick reply.  Looks like I have some extensive research ahead
of me!
Again, thanks so much!

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 04:29 BST (UK) »
Dear annclare
I'm so sorry I missed your message! Thank you so much for the baptisms you found for Elizabeth and Johanna Hennessy! The baptism date matches Johanna's age on the 1851 census perfectly! But as you say, the baptism date for Elizabeth is late based on her age on the censuses and her death certificate. However, as her husband was born circa 1800 and was a lot older than her perhaps she raised her age so there didn't appear to be such a big age difference. The only thing I'm thinking is that if she was born in 1823 the same year that she was baptised, then she would have only been aged 17 or 18 when she married on 4 Oct 1841 in London and the marriage certificate states she was of full age. I guess she could have lied that she was of full age because her parents were in Ireland and could not give consent for her to marry.
Thank you again!

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 09:36 BST (UK) »
Annclare, I also found a baptism of an Eliza Hennessy, whose father was also named Thomas, on 9 Jul 1822 in Galbally and Aherlow parish (in Cashel and Emly diocese, same as the baptism you found) Tipperary, and her mother was Bridget Cleary. This baptism seems like it could be a little more likely just because it makes her at least 17 months older when she married and the mother's name is Bridget which is the name Elizabeth gave her only child. HOWEVER, I could not find baptisms (on Findmypast) of any other children of Thomas and Bridget Hennessy nee Cleary, so couldn't find a daughter named Johanna to link to the sister Johanna living with Elizabeth on the census, which makes the baptism you found more likely.

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 09:45 BST (UK) »
Oh and meant to say the fact that the name of the child baptised in 1822 was listed as Eliza instead of Elizabeth makes the other baptism more likely too.