Author Topic: Hollandbush Village in 1600 century  (Read 431 times)

Offline Kaarina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hollandbush Village in 1600 century
« on: Friday 28 February 20 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this is Maija from Finland. In my family we have some Scottish or Irish DNA and wonder where on earth it came from.
Our forefather in Finland is Josef Hollander. No birth date can be found. Could he be born in Scotland, Hollandbush?  And got his surname from this village? He was a soldier with horse, fought for Swedish kings.

My DNA test found a relative in UK who lives in Sunderland, the father is from Kelso. Isnt Kelso in the same region as
Stirlingshire?
Best greetings from Finland, Maija

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hollandbush Village in 1600 century
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 February 20 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome.

I do not believe you have enough to tie and ancestor called Hollander to Hollandbush, it is more likely to be a coincidence of names.

There does not appear to be an agreed derivation for the name Hollander, and it is a name that can be found in several different populations eg British (Scottish, English etc), Gemanic (Germany, Holland etc) Jewish and others

Kelso is in Roxburghshire and is about 80 miles from Stirling. Roxburghshire is #27 on the attached map and Stirlingshire is #30

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01p45/

I would say the most likely way your ancestor got to fight for the Swedish Kings is as a soldier of fortune or mercenary. There were a lot of wars in Europe at this time including the Eighty years war 1568-1648 and the Thirty years war 1618-1648 so providing plenty of opportunities for a soldier.

Also Scotland historically had strong ties with the Baltic region and at this time (1600) the Scottish King James VI was married to Ann of Denmark, daughter of the Danish king who ruled part of southern Sweden.

Hope this is useful in giving you an idea of how your ancestor might have got to fight for the Swedish king.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Kaarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hollandbush Village in 1600 century
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 March 20 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Our ancestor got married in 1703, his occupation being 'Rider'. He dealt with horses and arms, it says also. Probably his father/grandfather were mercenaries too, the church books are missing though.
PS. My DNA match and I share a triangulated segment in chromosome 7, we have got it from a common ancestor, it says. Scottish, it seems?