Author Topic: Help understanding burial entry: St Martin-in-the-Field, 1771  (Read 361 times)

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help understanding burial entry: St Martin-in-the-Field, 1771
« on: Friday 28 February 20 22:49 GMT (UK) »
I’m hoping for some help deciphering the additional text on this burial entry; it’s from St Martin-in-the-Field, Westminster, 1771. I did wonder if I should have posted on the deciphering handwriting board, but it's not so much that I can't read it as I don't understand it. I'm hoping someone might be familiar with these parish registers.

The first line isn't a problem: Ann Fisher from St Ann’s Soho was buried in a vault next to the chancel which was, presumably, near to or under a ‘great bell’. But, can anyone shed any light on the second line, please?

She was an elderly lady, btw, a widow, in case that helps to make sense of things.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help understanding burial entry: St Martin-in-the-Field, 1771
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 February 20 23:02 GMT (UK) »
It’s not the burial register but the burial-fee book, detailing the various funeral items that were paid for – burial in the chancel vault, tolling the great bell, p(rayer)s, candles, black drapes. On the far right there should be a column showing the fee that was paid, but it’s been cut off here.

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help understanding burial entry: St Martin-in-the-Field, 1771
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 February 20 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! That makes so much sense. Yes, there is a column with costs in it.

Thanks so much for your help.  :)