Author Topic: Durban Harbour Works 1902  (Read 611 times)

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Durban Harbour Works 1902
« on: Saturday 29 February 20 20:42 GMT (UK) »
My ggg grandfather, Joseph Henry Batten lived on Davenport Road from 1890 - 1902. He was a diver working on the Durban Harbour Works, but had a diving accident and died in 1902. Does anybody know anything about the Durban Harbour Works and if there are any photos of that area and of any divers working on it? Many thanks!

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durban Harbour Works 1902
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 March 20 10:19 GMT (UK) »
This question has been asked before if I am not mistaken. Unfortunately very little in the way of harbour works exists on the net. There might be some old books out there with some history with a bit of luck.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Durban Harbour Works 1902
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 March 20 01:57 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of mentions of the Works in British newspapers, mainly in 1895 about the chief engineer, MITHVEN or METHVEN, suing the Natal govt for wrongful dismissal; and another article mentioning the design in 1878. As well as various other mentions over the years about the works. You've probably seen this web page?
https://www.fad.co.za/Resources/dhew/bar.htm

There is also this drawing from 1899, published in the Leed's Times, Saturday,  Nov. 11, 1899

Can't see any photos of the divers working on it, but there is a photo of the "floating dock" arriving at Durban Harbour in 1904 in the "Illustrated London News", Saturday,  Apr. 2, 1904 . And a view of Durban Harbour in "The Times" Friday,  May 31, 1935 .Send me a pm if you'd like a copy.  :)