Author Topic: Can you identify these medals please?  (Read 2158 times)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can you identify these medals please?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 August 05 11:03 BST (UK) »
Mack, ooohh, thank you for that info, can I ask some questions?If he was demoted back to Private does that mean he did something wrong?
What's an old contemptible?
whats the colours? - what does this mean, 
how do you know when he won his medals?
thanks for all the help,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 August 05 11:26 BST (UK) »
I've now got his medal card, (I can see from the card above the dates he was awarded his medal are on there - errmm silly me.  ::))
does this help?

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 August 05 16:38 BST (UK) »
hiya newbie,get out of the corner,his MMs are not on the card,only his campaign medals are on it,and they are not dated,an old contemtible was a soldier who was in france +flanders right from the start,our army was very small compared to the germans and the german kaiser said who is this contemptible little army and the name stuckhe didnt do anything wrong,he was probably only a temp lance corporal for the war period,the colours are when you are serving with the regt itself,eg,if a man signs on for 12yrs,he will serve 7yrs with the colours and 5 in the reserve,when the war started he was at woolwich,he sailed to france and landed on 11-8-1914 at havre as part of the 19th brigade,on 22-8-14 he was fighting around valenciennes,when the war ended,he was sat having a cup of tea at sassegnies,south west of aulnoye,he was in the 1st battalion middlesex regt,you need to get in touch with the person who mounted his medals,there should be a mons clasp on his 1914 star,its missing,its a important part of the medals,not many old contemtibles survived the war,so hes unique,if you post all this info+ the pictures on the great war forum in the medal catagory,they will love ya,someone on there may have ref to him in their data base,some of my pals on there are well clued up on the middlesex regt,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 August 05 16:44 BST (UK) »
I've gone straight back in the corner!
Thank you so much for all of that information, incredible.
My dad had the medals re done, in Aldershot, near where we live, at the Army shop, had new ribbons etc and mounted, is one back to front, the bravery medal? it was done in 1992 so too long ago now and sadly Dad is no longer here.
where shall I post it in the G.W.Forum and what shall I say?
you are my very bestest friend.
Newbie :-*

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 August 05 16:58 BST (UK) »
newbie,i forgot,your dads got two medal cards,the other is under w.allen,theres no more info on it,post the info on the medals+awards catagory and ask if anyone has any further info,one of the lads on the great war forum may help you to get a clasp for his medals,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 August 05 11:42 BST (UK) »
Mack,
I posted to the GWF but not sure if its in the right place, ?not really learnt anymore I think, no replies with regard to the middx regt.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 August 05 12:16 BST (UK) »
Mack,
I'm back in the corner!
thought I'd just check out the GWF again, and there are lots of replies to my post! and Steve has given me the links to the award in the Gazette. :) wonderful..
I don't seem to be getting notification of the replies though..