Author Topic: 1808 Marriage Record  (Read 766 times)

Offline 7Y

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1808 Marriage Record
« on: Wednesday 04 March 20 14:39 GMT (UK) »

I would be grateful if someone could confirm that the occupation of Joseph Robinson on this marriage register is ‘Caravan Man’, and would this mean he was a traveller/gypsy.

If I have the correct couple in the census records, that record implies that both were born around 1791, which would make them about 17 years of age when they wed.  The record also states that Eleanor was a Widow – was it commonplace that people married early in those days, in particular regarding Eleanor. 

I have tried to find a marriage for Eleanor whose surname is actually Turner, and not as transcribed for this record, but correctly transcribed on a Bishop’s Transcript record.

As you will have gathered, I am not the greatest researcher ever, but I am very grateful for any advice received.

Shelagh

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1808 Marriage Record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 15:26 GMT (UK) »
That's what I see Caravan Man Shelagh...although I can't find a reference in old occupations websites, maybe he was a traveller.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 15:31 GMT (UK) »
I would be grateful if someone could confirm that the occupation of Joseph Robinson on this marriage register is ‘Caravan Man’, and would this mean he was a traveller/gypsy.

It certainly appears to be 'Caravan Man' - not a phrase I've seen before. I agree that it makes him sound like a traveller, but other opinions on this would be useful.

If I have the correct couple in the census records, that record implies that both were born around 1791, which would make them about 17 years of age when they wed.

If the census you're basing this on is 1841, remember that adults' ages on that were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 below. So someone shown as aged 50 could have been between 50 and 54, ie born between mid-1786 and mid-1791 - and that's assuming they were able to give a completely accurate age.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Looking at contemporary newspaper mentions, I think a "caravan man" was a man who drove a (horse drawn) van. It was Joseph's occupation.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 16:00 GMT (UK) »
See this one for instance, from 1819:

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 16:01 GMT (UK) »
So would that be a kind of sales rep?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 16:02 GMT (UK) »
More like a delivery man

Offline 7Y

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your suggestions.  It's interesting that Joseph may have been a delivery man and not a traveller as I first thought. 

I do have another record, where the gent concerned put his deceased Father as a Traveller - would this mean the same thing,

Edit:  Sorry, also meant to ask, when Eleanor remarried, would Turner be her maiden name or from her previous marriage.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 17:46 GMT (UK) »
There was no mention that either was a minor.
Turner might have been surname of her first husband or it might have been her maiden name.  :-\
My 3xGGM married for 2nd time in 1861 under her maiden name. Her GGM married as a widow 100 years earlier. She married using the surname Smith; I don't know if she was Widow Smith or had formerly been Miss Smith.
Cowban