Author Topic: Why would an Ayrshire criminal be sent to Peterhead Prison  (Read 603 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Why would an Ayrshire criminal be sent to Peterhead Prison
« on: Friday 06 March 20 08:19 GMT (UK) »
This week's find was that one of my ancestors was in Peterhead Prison in 1901.  He was sentenced in November 1897.  What's confusing me is that when he committed his crimes he was living in Kilmarnock Ayrshire, he had committed his crimes in Kilmarnock as far as I can tell.  So what I'd live to find out is why he was specifically sent to that prison, one so far away.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why would an Ayrshire criminal be sent to Peterhead Prison
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 March 20 08:49 GMT (UK) »
What was the sentence? Did it include "hard labour"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Prison_Peterhead

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 March 20 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Buchan Observer, 7 Jan 1887
"Convicts for Peterhead - The seventeen male convicts convicted in the Circuit Court held at Glasgow at the close of last month were removed to Perth penitentairy on Tuesday morning. In connection with convicts and their labour, it is expected the necessity will cease for sending them to England, as one block of Peterhead Prison will be opened for their reception in the autumn of this year. Parliament has voted for this convict prison a sum of £30,000, which will be expended on the buildings by that time".

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 March 20 09:32 GMT (UK) »
What was the sentence? Did it include "hard labour"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Prison_Peterhead

He was sentenced to "10 years penal servitude"
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 March 20 09:50 GMT (UK) »
This week's find was that one of my ancestors was in Peterhead Prison in 1901.  He was sentenced in November 1897.  What's confusing me is that when he committed his crimes he was living in Kilmarnock Ayrshire, he had committed his crimes in Kilmarnock as far as I can tell.  So what I'd live to find out is why he was specifically sent to that prison, one so far away.

The trial would have been in the High Court during its Circuit regardless of where the crime was committed - hence the reference to the trial in Glasgow.

As regards being sent to Peterhead probably just bad luck - the sentence would have been part of the determination but the placement of prisoners was entirely up to the Prison Authorities.
Prior to the extension at Peterhead and various reforms in the prisons all prisoners whose sentence was over a certain limit were sent to England to work on various "social" improvements such as Roads and Bridges as part of the Hard Labour of their sentence. At that time period Prisoners were all expected to work and Hard labour was the norm not the exception. (Those sentenced to death were exempt)

PS have you checked to see if the trial papers still exist - they can be very enlightening.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 March 20 09:57 GMT (UK) »

The trial would have been in the High Court during its Circuit regardless of where the crime was committed - hence the reference to the trial in Glasgow.

As regards being sent to Peterhead probably just bad luck - the sentence would have been part of the determination but the placement of prisoners was entirely up to the Prison Authorities.
Prior to the extension at Peterhead and various reforms in the prisons all prisoners whose sentence was over a certain limit were sent to England to work on various "social" improvements such as Roads and Bridges as part of the Hard Labour of their sentence. At that time period Prisoners were all expected to work and Hard labour was the norm not the exception. (Those sentenced to death were exempt)

PS have you checked to see if the trial papers still exist - they can be very enlightening.

Oh I'm not confused about the trial, Ayrshire HIgh court cases are still held in Glasgow, was just the prison as there would have been several between the trial and Peterhead.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 March 20 10:34 GMT (UK) »

Oh I'm not confused about the trial, Ayrshire HIgh court cases are still held in Glasgow, was just the prison as there would have been several between the trial and Peterhead.

The permanent sitting of the High Court in Glasgow was a relatively recent occurrence although depending upon the Court Calender even today someone from Ayr could find themselves in the High Court in Edinburgh Perth or Aberdeen or any of the other Court sittings.