Author Topic: Mclaughlin Family  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mclaughlin Family
« Reply #45 on: Monday 09 March 20 19:42 GMT (UK) »

OK Hallmark -- I've been confused for years!

Heywood -- that is SO very good of you to precis the information. I didn't mean anyone to go to all that trouble.

OK. So Henry the Bookbinder has seemingly been sorted out from birth to death and is not the 'Harry' we are looking for.

The mother Emma is still throwing me. I am almost tempted to order Harry and Hilda's marriage cert myself!

(Dathai - thank you for posting the link to the Dublin Electoral Rolls -- very useful site).
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Kumquat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 09 March 20 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
 I had been leaning toward Emma Cuthbert and William McLaughlin (tailor) as being Harry's parents. Harry of New Brunswick did not return to England after he returned to Canada from the war. So He did not marry in England in 1926. I have not found Canadian immigration records for Harry. I have not found him in the 1901 or the 1911 census of New Brunswick. I have tracked his New Brunswick records through PANB ( Public Archives of New Brunswick ). I am beginning to think he may have been a runaway child. Why give three different names as next of kin? Also, Harry's daughter Amy was named after Hilda's sister Amy porter.
I have been looking for Harry' parents for over two years.  Thank you so much for your endeavors, time is precious.
Kumquat

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 09 March 20 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Do you have copies of the various records?

He signed up with the Canadian Expeditionary Forces on 29 July 1915 in Sussex, New Brunswick. He gave his date of birth as 1 May 1888, Dublin, Ireland. His next of kin was listed as Emma McLaughlin, Sackville Street, Dublin.
This is that record
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=166844

In the before attestation questions Harry gave a Mrs. Amy Taylor ( cousin ) as his next of kin and her address as No. 7 Hions Building, Farrier Street, Worcester, England.

Can you post or quote the part of the record that has the reference to Amy
Amy Taylor’s mother is connected to a similar address

After some months under fire in France he was taken to England for medical treatment. He was deemed unfit to return to the war front. In 1918 while still in England, the Manchester area, he gave a Daniel McLaughlin ( brother ) as his next of kin.
Which record was that? You say that Daniel also had a Worcester connection - any other info?

In December of 1917 He married Hilda Porter of Manchester.
The marriage certificate might (only might) help if it has a father’s name and occupation.

Somehow, he must have been acquainted with Amy Taylor and Worcester to have given those references.  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Kumquat -- would you allow me to obtain the marriage certificate of Harry to Hilda on your behalf please -- as a gift from English Rootschatters to a Canadian one please? It would be my pleasure to do so.

It will take about a week - but we would be able to see who he puts down as his father.

I must confess I am not the brightest technical button in the box -- and also unsure whether I will be allowed to post a copy of it on here as an attachment - or whether it be too large --

Heywood/Hallmark -- do you know if I would be allowed to post a copy marriage cert on here please?

Would really appreciate you letting me know if it's OK for me to order for you as a gift Kumquat. If I can't post an image on here, I can at least report exactly what the certificate says.
Places of interest;

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I will pm you, Pennines.

Offline Kumquat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Thanks, but no, do not purchase the marriage certificate. I don't mind paying for things it is just that I am totally unfamiliar with overseas financial transactions.  I will try to get my niece to do that for me. I just found a family history on Ancestry, that has some information on Harry. I plugged in Harry's daughter Kathleen McLaughlin born 25 Feb 1925, Saint John, New Brunswick along with her parent's names. I found a Burger Family History. Kathleen had married a Roy Edison Burger. According to this family history, Emma McLoughlin was born about 1868. She married a Mr McLaughlin at age 18 after 1886. It indicates that harry was born 1 May 1891, Dublin, Ireland. It looks like Amy Taylor, born about 1895 in Worcester, Worcestershire, England was a sibling of Emma's. Huge age difference there.  Why did Harry refer to her as Mrs. Amy Taylor? It also indicates that Daniel McLaughlin was a sibling Emma's father. This could be helpful but I am skeptical. My library has a library edition of Ancestry but you must be at the library to access it.
Thanks again,
Kumquat.

cLoughlin was born about 1868

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 19:16 GMT (UK) »
I have seen that tree and to be honest, I think the ‘facts’ have been assumed from Harry’s paperwork which you have referenced already.

You could try emailing the church where Harry and Hilda married to see if the records are there. Often, there is no reply but sometimes, there might be one. You never know.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Kumquat -- please believe me when I say I never thought that you may not wish to purchase a certificate.

My only reason for offering to do it for you, was that it would be much easier for me, as I have ordered certificates in England many times -- and I am over here. I also was under the impression you were using a public computer.

No offence was intended at all and if I upset you by the suggestion -- please forgive me. I made the offer with the best of intentions.

If your niece is to order it she will need to go to the following website;
https://www.gov.uk/general-register-office

She will then need to register.
Go to 'order certificates on line'
Place an order
Commence filling the application form

The details of the marriage are;
Year of Event; 1917
Name; Harry McLaughlin
Quarter; Dec
District Name; Chorlton
Volume Number; 8c
Page Number; 1232

Then simply check out after giving card details.
Places of interest;

Offline Kumquat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 14 March 20 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
No, Pennines, I was not at all offended by your offer, in fact I thank you. I have printed off the information you gave as to how my niece can proceed. Today , because of the Covid-19 problem we have limited access to the computers here. Things are shutting down and by Monday it will likely be open only for pickups and drop offs. Since I am well into my 8th decade this will be my last day here for awhile since I believe in following the dictates of our health department. Libraries have been completely closed in other provinces.
I am not giving up on Harry and will be back online when we get the green light.
 If Amy Taylor was living in the same neighborhood as her mother, who was her mother?

Bye For Now,
Kumqyat