Author Topic: Hamilton  (Read 1064 times)

Offline kiwikate

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hamilton
« on: Saturday 07 March 20 01:50 GMT (UK) »
John Hamilton c 1770 married Jean Sandilands 1791 Cranston.  They had 8 children the Jean, Isabel, Mary, John, Willliam, Hannah, Francis and the youngest David born 1808 Ormiston 
Article from A Squatting Saga John born c 1770 was a itinerant farm worker in the parishes south of Edinburgh,He married Jean Sandiland (c 1769 Pencaitland) in 1791.John apprenticed his two Youngest sons Francis 1805 and David 1808,to their cousin David Hamilton (1782 1861)for 60years a Blacksmith in Pencaitland,to become Milton Mill Wrights.
I have tried to search for Johns parents and have found a John Hamilton and Isabel Cockburn Inveresk and Musselburgh.I was told Johns parents were Alexander Hamilton (1700) and Isabel Haitley this makes Alexander 70 when John was born. Any help with Johns parents would be great
Thanks Kate
Smail  Ramsay Todd Binnie King Pryde Sharp
Branscombe Hutchinson Fellows

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 March 20 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Here are the 9 children of John Hamilton and Jane/Jean Sandilands
JEAN      bap 12/08/1792 Crichton
ISABEL     bap 01/03/1795 Borthwick
MARY    bap 08/10/1797 Cranston
JOHN   bap 06/10/1799 Cranston
WILLIAM   bap 21/02/1802 Cranston
HANNAH   bap 25/12/1803 Cranston
FRANCIS (male)   bap 04/11/1805 Cranston
DAVID   bap 09/10/1808 Ormiston
JAMES   bap 31/03/1811 Cranston

It would seem odd that his father was Alexander and he has not named any of his sons with that name. Do you have the 1791 marriage record? If so, what does it say?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 March 20 07:00 GMT (UK) »
I see the marriage of Alexander Hamilton to Isobel Hately in 1738 in Athelstaneford, Haddingtonshire. There are three children's records for that couple: Beatrix 1739, Francis 1741, Helen 1743.
I cannot see a John.
They could possibly be grandparents of John Hamilton? - I will look further.......
I would ask whoever gave you the names of the parents as Alexander and Isobel Hately for the documentation that supports this.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 March 20 14:31 GMT (UK) »
If we are trying to work through naming pattern and the details you have for Jane Sandilands are correct, her parents are showing as William and Jane/Jean www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY22-FDH

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 March 20 23:11 GMT (UK) »
If we are trying to work through naming pattern and the details you have for Jane Sandilands are correct.
Yes, I agree Monica. I’m not convinced Alexander is the father however.
Detail on John’s marriage record might be useful regarding his parish, but have not heard back from Kate.

Offline kiwikate

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 March 20 00:40 GMT (UK) »
From the OPR Parish of Cranston Hamilton and Sandilands John Hamilton and Jane Sandilands before the session and acknowledge their irregular Marriage 13th February 1791.
Jane Sandilands was the daughter of William Sandilands and Jean Pittloe  she was born c 1769 Pencaitland I still dont think Alexander was the father,find it strange that the name was not carried on
Thanks for your help Kate
Smail  Ramsay Todd Binnie King Pryde Sharp
Branscombe Hutchinson Fellows