Author Topic: John Stanley Adams b 1907 Suffolk  (Read 927 times)

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stanley Adams b 1907 Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Puzzle though, they have the same name but they are from two different places apparently miles and miles apart. One is in Harmanus which is close to Cape Town and the other is Boedel which is near Johannesburg. Yet they are of similar dates and I did not notice to start with.

It took me a while to figure out where you got "Boedel" from and then I saw it ... ==> "Boedel" is not a place name but it is the Dutch/Afrikaans word for "Estate" and Boedelregister = Estate(s) register!
(BTW The South African register that mentions John is for Cape Province ... Johannesburg was in Transvaal and has nothing to do with this story)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Tree Spirit and Baddy.

Thank you Baddy. Yes it was Bredell I found and after posting I realised what it was, hence the apology. Feel an idiot!!

So Hermanus in Cape Province does seem to be the place. That is wonderful. Now I know where he went. Off to find out about Hermanus.

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 04:03 GMT (UK) »
That has been an interesting morning. What a beautiful place Hermanus is. I can quite see why he would have wanted to live there!! Med type climate was what attracted us to West Australia!!
We are on a whale route too!

There does not seem to be any industry of the sort that Uncle John might have been attracted to as he was a sheet metal worker. Perhaps there was at one time. Tourism is the industry these days not surprisingly.

He could however gone back a few years to his childhood. His father and older brother had a motor cycle agency and repair business. Probably worked there too as he grew older so he would have had the knowledge. My uncle's knowledge and interests in cars and motor bikes was considerable so Uncle John may have been the same.

Or perhaps he was retiring there, he was 60 when he died. Not a bad idea to retire there, lovely place.

I have found some genealogical info sites this morning too, there is a lot there and more is being transcribed. Not that I have found anything yet. Now I know where he was I have so much more information so searching will make more sense..

Thank you again everyone, I am so much more farther on now.