Author Topic: Capt John Harforth, shipwrecked and died 1846  (Read 343 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Capt John Harforth, shipwrecked and died 1846
« on: Sunday 08 March 20 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Details from an article in the Newcastle Guardian, 21st March 1846. A vessel called The Pedlar was wrecked near "Fern Island" during a voyage from Grangemouth to France, the crew took to a boat on the Tuesday and the following day the Capt, John Harforth and another crew member died. The two surviving crew were rescued later that day but heavy seas prevented the two dead bodies being recovered from the boat. The surviving crew were dropped ashore at Shields.  My feeling is that as Fern Island is inland near Dumfries then the wreck happened near the Farne Islands.

There isn't a death ref for John Harforth, I'm assuming it's classed as a death at sea but not sure. Is there any way to find an indication of the age at death for him?

Although I have a few John Harforths in my tree one eludes me, I have a baptism for one in 1790 at Marske but nothing for him after that.

I also have an 1822 marriage at Whitby relating to John Harforth, sailor and Dorothy Dickson.
Whitby baptisms of children with Dickson as a forename or middle name, children of John Harforth, sailor and Dorothy in 1831 and 1833.
Returns Of Payment Of Army And Other Pensions 1852-1862 to Dorothy Harforth of Stockton, widow
1861 Middlesborough census, Dorothy Harforth b1804, widow.
A marriage at Marske of Elizabeth Harforth in 1865, aged 18, dau of John Harforth, sailor.

As you may have guessed I'm trying to see if I have the same John Harforth all the way through or not. If he is my 1790 chap he's the son of John Harforth a taylor (tailor) who I can account for in 1841 at Marske and death/probate in 1850

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Capt John Harforth, shipwrecked and died 1846
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 March 20 05:36 GMT (UK) »
The Farne Islands were also referred to as the Fern Islands https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/793800

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 March 20 06:51 GMT (UK) »
"The ship was abandoned in the North Sea off the coast of County Durham with the loss of two of her four crew."   
Fern Islands is quite a distance from County Durham.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 March 20 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Member "Seaweed" is your man to ask -
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 March 20 09:35 GMT (UK) »
"The ship was abandoned in the North Sea off the coast of County Durham with the loss of two of her four crew."   
Fern Islands is quite a distance from County Durham.

The journey started on Sunday, Monday morning problems, boat sank Tuesday when off Fern Island,  picked up Wednesday (boat drifts?), and they were landed from the rescue ship on Friday.
 Depends how good the reporter's geography is, and how accurate you expect a report to be.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 March 20 12:48 GMT (UK) »
 The Brigantine PEDLAR was built in Sunderland in 1839, 110 tons. She was abandoned on 17/03/1846. Voyage Grangemouth to St. Valery.
She was registered in Stockton on Tees at the time of her loss. Her last logbook and Crew Agreement which should give details of the crew, name. age, last address etc. Assuming it has not been lost or destroyed, it should be here.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4065453

Glen in Tinsel Kni I have sent you a PM
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022