Author Topic: 23andme Maternal Haplogroup - Completed with thanks  (Read 436 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
23andme Maternal Haplogroup - Completed with thanks
« on: Monday 09 March 20 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of a quick way of selecting possible mtDNA matches on 23andme?

Going through all the female matches on the list will take a while and I'd like to see if anyone else matches my group (K1a4a1).

This might (maybe  :-\)  help me disentangle my maternal Jones ancestors.

Thanks

Judy
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 23andme Maternal Haplogroup
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 March 20 14:55 GMT (UK) »
It is not intuitive, but it is easy  :)
Just type the haplogroup into the search box that you use for names or locations.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 March 20 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you but there's no one who has the same group. Should I be looking for just K1a  :-\

I can't be the only one in the world who is on 23andme!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 March 20 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I would try

K1a4a1
then
K1a4a
K1a4
K1a
 i.e. gradually make the group less specific which does mean matches will gradually be less close but it will give you an idea of how distinctive, or not, your group is
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 March 20 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Ok - found it now - there were 2 search boxes come up and I used the wrong one  :-X

I have 13 shares  :)

All US - I think they all look as if they are 'way back when' links.

Thank you both.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 23andme Maternal Haplogroup - Completed with thanks
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 March 20 22:17 GMT (UK) »
You have the additional question of whether the autosomal line generating the match at 23andme is not your direct maternal line. Even if you do the full mtDNA test with matching at FTDNA it is still fairly unlikely that you will find an mtDNA match within the timeframe that you can track paper trail. It is more useful for disproving potential direct maternal matches than for proving them. I did the full test with FTDNA back in 2011 and have not gained anything other than educational interest from it.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 23andme Maternal Haplogroup - Completed with thanks
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 March 20 22:24 GMT (UK) »
It is more useful for disproving potential direct maternal matches than for proving them.

Yes. Classic scientific method is to always attempt to disprove the hypothesis.   :)

I found it interesting to find that my particular haplogroup was reasonably rare in UK. It's nice not to have a boring H   ;D