Author Topic: George Barclay (was "Andrew Barclay")  (Read 7264 times)

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Barclay
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 December 09 11:50 GMT (UK) »
My dad passed-on a fortnight ago and sorting through his belongings on saturday, I found all the family photos and documents that we thought lost for good.  Looking through them, it has become evident that while my mam was correct in saying that one of her grandfather's brothers had emigrated to Canada, she got the wrong brother.  It was George, not Andrew.

A solicitor's letter (addressed to my mam's aunt) dated October 1963 says "In 1949 your Uncle George's second wife was alive and living in Vancouver, British Columbia.  They had three children."  I didn't know what happened to him or his first wife, so it's interesting to find out that either she died or they divorced and that George remarried.  We also have an earlier letter (also to my mam's aunt) dated January 1948 where they mention "finding the widow of your late uncle who died in Canada".  So George died before January 1948, presumably in Vancouver, unless his widow moved there afterwards.

I've tried Ancestry but I don't seem to be able to find an appropriate record for either his passage to Canada or a death in British Columbia.  Any help on this would be appreciated.  The Canada connection has stumped me for five years now.  George Barclay was born in North Sunderland in 1873.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Barclay (was "Andrew Barclay")
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 December 09 14:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm so sorry for your loss...

A George Barclay died feb 14th 1937 age 60 (age a little short but right place)
Vancouver  1937-09-525064
Microfilm #: B13159   (GSU # 1953192)
http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-33E5CF2/gbsearch/Births,Marriages,Deaths

George Barclay Nov 30 1920 Marriage to Helen Morrice
Vancouver  1920-09-221931
Microfilm #: B12905   (GSU # 2032874)

No births will be found

I just found a Scottish George in 1911 Vancouver who could also be this fellow...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 December 09 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Do you know anything about George's first wife (name, when born) or when he/they may have emigrated?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 December 09 14:47 GMT (UK) »
I'll put up the 1881 names so we can have some ages & parents to look at again...He had a middle initial!
George BARCLAY  Berwick On Tweed, Northumb   General Dealer      
 Elizabeth  Wife  Scotland            
 George P. BARCLAY age 8  ( 1873), Scholar &  James 6 & Andrew 1 (  N Sunderland  )
(Their births all seem to be registered in different districts and none of them Sunderland)

B.C. is a place where many go in retirement as well, so they or she might also have arrived there later...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 December 09 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Silverhawk,

I am very sorry to hear about your dad. 

I live out here in what is today a very, very sunny Vancouver.  I was going to mention that it is a bit chilly at -5c but I know our friend in Winnipeg is watching this thread and she will just laugh and call me a big jessie!  But weather update aside, I can look up the registrations at the library to see if they match your George.  If it is, I'll see if I can find an obituary as that will list surviving family members. 

Have you traced George in the English census records?  Just wondering if there is a date range for his immigration as I can also look up some passenger lists.  Do you have any details on his first wife?

I'll probably be back at the library one day this week, just waiting for a book to come in so as soon as they call, I'll pop in.

Regards,
Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Not at all...No sour lemons here  ;D  We have had practically balmy weather here for the last 2 months, so we have only just dived into the freezer...quite a shock...It is Alberta having our usual bad weather...climate change is in full force. I wish they'd called it global warning as it is constantly misconstrued...

I found no George of correct age or background so far...likely joined us just post census, the rotter!  ;) 

You are in good hands as you are lucky, we have a few really wonderful people helping in B.C....
jessie here is one of them...

Just kidding Lynwen   ;D  as I don't know the expression...we say sissy...wuss...
J.J.

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 December 09 01:10 GMT (UK) »
I was at the library this afternoon and looked up both George Barclay registrations but unfortunately, he is not yours.  This George was born in Scotland in 1877.

Sorry,
Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 December 09 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the condolances.  My apologies for not getting back to this thread before now.  I haven't been on the internet much at all lately.  Trying to get back to normality a bit now.

Do you know anything about George's first wife (name, when born) or when he/they may have emigrated?
I'm afraid I have no idea when they might have emigrated.  Of course it's entirely possible that the move to Canada didn't occur until after his first wife died (assuming he wasn't divorced).  Or he even could have remarried in England before emigrating.  Which order these events happened in is something the letters haven't been able to help with.

His first wife was Mary Armstrong, born 1879 in Farlam, Cumberland.  They married in the Brampton district of Cumberland in 1900.

I'll put up the 1881 names so we can have some ages & parents to look at again...He had a middle initial!
George BARCLAY  Berwick On Tweed, Northumb   General Dealer      
 Elizabeth  Wife  Scotland            
 George P. BARCLAY age 8  ( 1873), Scholar &  James 6 & Andrew 1 (  N Sunderland  )
(Their births all seem to be registered in different districts and none of them Sunderland)
Yes, I remember being confused by that at the time as I know George didn't have a middle name.  All the children were born in North Sunderland, a village about 10-15 minutes walk inland from Seahouses, Northumberland.  They were registered in the Belford district.  While the rest of the children were registered as Barclay, George was registered as George White.

His mother was a gypsy girl and she didn't officially marry George Snr until 1898, a few months before his death.  I'm assuming they had a traditional gypsy wedding before that which wasn't recognised by English law and had to get married again to secure her inheritance.  George Snr was quite well off by then, leaving his wife Osborne House (as it was known then) and each of his sons £500.

Have you traced George in the English census records?  Just wondering if there is a date range for his immigration as I can also look up some passenger lists.
He's on the 1901 census living at 1 Hugh Street, Benwell, West Newcastle.  His occupation is "metal merchant" (he took over his father's share of the business after he died).  I've had trouble trying to locate him on the 1911 census, so it's possible he could have left for Canada between the two censuses.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Another thing to keep in mind, it is possible that George's wife emigrated to Canada after George died.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz