Author Topic: Coronavirus - FutureLearn course  (Read 2332 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus - FutureLearn course
« Reply #36 on: Friday 13 March 20 13:53 GMT (UK) »
My shopping has just been delivered. I ordered one pack of 9 toilet rolls, they were out of stock so they sent me one pack of 16 instead!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 13 March 20 14:37 GMT (UK) »

Well, - you'll be well prepared then! (Don't use them all at once...:-)

Romilly ;D ;D
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 13 March 20 16:01 GMT (UK) »
My shopping has just been delivered. I ordered one pack of 9 toilet rolls, they were out of stock so they sent me one pack of 16 instead!

All round to yours then when we run out...promise to form an orderly queue  ;D ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 13 March 20 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Just read this, and was impressed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51858845
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 13 March 20 16:55 GMT (UK) »
For much of my career, now over, I was involved in what was known as large-scale consumer logistics, basically ensuring that the major retailers never suffered any periods of empty shelves. That is very costly to them so they will go to great investment to avoid it happening. The two main concepts were just in time delivery, which involved having very large out-of-town warehouses, typically close to motorway junctions that could be used to replenish stocks at short notice, during promotions or during any sort of disruption to manufacture. The other concept was vendor managed inventory. This entails retailers providing their sales information to their suppliers so that suppliers could then be responsible for ensuring correct deliveries. If this short scale panic buying causes any disruption, then 10 years of my career will have been in vain. If people panic buy today, they won't be doing it again, it's a one-off event, the infrastructure of retail is designed to avoid this happening.

Martin

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 13 March 20 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Wear your gloves in public places ;)
Carol

Carol,

I don't understand how wearing gloves in public places can help anybody. It doesn't stop you from touching your face whilst walking about (unless you wear boxing gloves, or oven mitts). Also, if you don't use disposable gloves then there probably isn't a way to clean gloves effectively.

The whole thing about washing hands thoroughly isn't to protect your hands, it's to protect the rest of your body that you might touch with your hands.

That's my understanding anyhow.
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 13 March 20 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I can vaguely remember being very ill with 'Asian Flu' in 1957.
I wonder if that's given me any immunity?
They are very different viruses so no. 'Asian flu' of 1957-8 was influenza A subtype H2N2, covid 19 is [as we all know  ;D] a coronavirus. Covid 19 is undoubtedly going to mutate, like the influenza virus does, so exposure now may not confer immunity to a new variety in the future.

If I run out of toilet paper then it's newspaper on a string as discussed before or the bidet [knew it would come in handy one day].
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON