Author Topic: PC Fitton of Oldham  (Read 757 times)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PC Fitton of Oldham
« on: Wednesday 11 March 20 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I have an relative named Joseph Fitton who had a really interesting life working as a lamplighter, funeral director and police officer. He was born in 1830 in Oldham and had 5 children including one adopted son. I had no idea he had been in the police until looking at the death certificate of his daughter Harriet which lists him, in 1869, as being 'late a member of the borough police force'. I managed to track down some police records which list him as joining up in May 1857. He is listed as PC No 29 but in Oct 24th 1857 he works only 4 days and then goes on sick leave. He is not back until 18th May 1861 (now PC No26) and then, 2 days after returning is one of only 2 officers there at the 'Oldham Riots' between Catholics and Protestants. He remains on the records until these end in August 1863. I do not know his exact address in 1857 but in 1850 he is at Radcliffe Street in Oldham and in 1861 he lives at 'Chapelcroft'. I do not have an 1851 census for Joseph or his wife Mary Fitton nee Wood b.1829, both born in Oldham.

I would really like to find out when he served up to but I dont think this is something I will ever find out. The thing I think I may be able to find, with your help though, is why he may have been off sick for nearly 3.5 years. I'm wondering if this may be work related and if so, listed in the Manchester newspapers. Does anyone know how this can be checked online?

Thanks, Luke

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PC Fitton of Oldham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 23:53 GMT (UK) »
...... had 5 children including one adopted son. I had no idea he had been in the police until looking at the death certificate of his daughter Harriet which lists him, in 1869, as being 'late a member of the borough police force'.

You really need to look at original records, not transcriptions.  James Abraham WOOD is not an 'adopted son', he is recorded as 'step son' in 1871 and is Mary's illegitimate son.

WOOD, JAMES  ABRAHAM
No mother's maiden surname
GRO Reference: 1846  D Quarter in ASHTON AND OLDHAM  Volume 20  Page 150

I had no idea he had been in the police until looking at the death certificate of his daughter Harriet

Joseph's occupation in 1861 is 'Police Constable'.

I do not have an 1851 census for Joseph or his wife Mary Fitton nee Wood b.1829, both born in Oldham.

They are with Mary's parents. Ancestry has indexed the surname as 'TETLOW', FamilySearch as 'FELTON'.

Piece   2240, Folio 267,  Page number 33

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGNC-9YJ

'MOOD' should obviously be 'WOOD'.

Debra  :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 March 20 04:19 GMT (UK) »
I can't help with why he was "off work" for 3 years, but there is this item which may be of interest in the Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, Saturday,  Oct. 11, 1856 which states he was a "private watchman"

"OLDHAM ...

SELLING BEER WITHOUT A LICENSE.- At the petty sessions, on Thursday, Elizabeth Parkinson was charged, on the information of Mr. D. L. Flattley, supervisor of excise, with selling beer without a license. Joseph Fitton, a private watchman, stated that on Sunday the 31st ult. he called at the house of the defendant in Jackson-street off Manchester-street, and purchased a pint of beer. The magistrates inflicted a penalty of £10 and costs."

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 March 20 07:19 GMT (UK) »
In the 1851 census that Dundee gave you the link to he is listed as a cotton spinner. When did you find him as a lamplighter and funeral director?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 March 20 07:45 GMT (UK) »
In the 1851 census that Dundee gave you the link to he is listed as a cotton spinner. When did you find him as a lamplighter and funeral director?

Baptisms St Peter’s

1859 John of Joseph and Mary - Lamp Lighter, Barnfold
1863 Elizabeth  Ann - same parents - Policeman, Chapel Croft

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 March 20 08:07 GMT (UK) »
 - records of their Banns at St Marys - but no record of the actual marriage on Lan-opc

Banns: St Mary, Oldham, Lancashire, England
Joseph Fitton - this Parish
Mary Wood - this Parish
    First Reading: 13 Oct 1850; Read By: R. F. Featherston
    Second Reading: 20 Oct 1850; Read By: R. F. Featherston
    Third Reading: 27 Oct 1850; Read By: R. F. Featherston
.................................................................................................
but it is on Lancsbmd

FITTON   Joseph   WOOD   Mary   1850   Oldham, St. Mary   Oldham   CE235/10/465
and my dad was a Lamplighter in the 1950's - believe it or not - a very important job
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 March 20 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone, this is really great information!

Debra, I didn't have any information from the census when I first researched Joseph and went off his children's certificates etc. The 1851 Census helps a lot in filling in the gaps.

Maddys52, what a great find, he must have been doing the two jobs at once at least for a while - are copies of the article available online?

Craclyn, the other occupations where on the baptism, birth records of his children.

Heywood, thank you as ever for your help.

Garstonite, I have the marriage certificate but not the banns, thanks. I think Lamplighting sounds fascinating and a extremly important profession for the time.

Thank you everyone!
Luke

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 March 20 03:07 GMT (UK) »

Maddys52, what a great find, he must have been doing the two jobs at once at least for a while - are copies of the article available online?

I use my Australian National Library card to access British Library Newspapers online for free (where I found the item in the "Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser"). I'm sure many libraries have the same offer. Alternatively there are paid sites too, including Ancestry, findmypast, British Newspaper Archive etc.   If you'd like I could copy the article and email to you - send me a pm.  :)

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Luke

I have a gg grandfather a police officer in the area and I got my best information including various family information and military reference which then lead to a service and Chelsea pensioner record from a brilliant resource in Lancashire record office

This was a police record for Lancashire. There was nana index and they sent me a copy of the full entry a few days later.  I was visiting the office

This was na few years ago and I think it may be at least indexed online, even if you have to ask for a copy.  Also check it hasn't been moved to Manchester.

My relative was in Rochdale and other local towns

Best wishes

Emms :) :) :)
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas