Author Topic: Seeking descendants of Isaac and Caroline PEARN, Tasmania  (Read 1725 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking descendants of Isaac and Caroline PEARN, Tasmania
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 March 20 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Wondering where/how this album has surfaced at this time.  As the album has photos from a variety of locations (photographers were based in Tasmania, WA, Adelaide and Melbourne) and the family appears to to have been spread into these locations, perhaps the location of the current finding of the album may give a clue as to which branch of the family owned it.

Here's a wild goose chase for you - with pure speculation - noting that there is a comment about the album belonging to "Grandma Pope" I wondered if Richard Pope had a brother who may have followed him to Australia.

Following Richard's family in Cornwall through census entries there is only one brother who would seem a possible (I stress that this is very much speculation).  The comments beside these names are from a Tree and I have not verified them
1861 St Blazey Cornwall
James Pope   45
Jenifer Pope   45
William Pope   22 - died in Cornwall
Jane Ann Pope   20
John Pope   17         - Died in Durham
James Pope   14 - died in Cornwall
Charles Pope   9 - married in Cornwall, 1873 but no info later than that
Richard Pope   5
Elizabeth M Pope   2

So it would appear that his brother Charles POPE is unaccounted for in terms of information later than 1873 when he married either Ann Lavinia PAINTER or Margaret Grace BENNETT.

WA BMD has a death for a Charles POPE, registered E Coolgardie, 1911 #11 - no parent or birth information shown on the index.
TROVE https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/91039903   Monday 16 January 1911
has two funeral notices for Charles POPE, member of WFMU, leaving his residence in Kalgoorlie; only "Friends" invited, no mention of any family. 
TROVE also has a mention of his death at the Kalgoorlie Government Hospital. 
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/33385029 Says he was aged 50
Another mention of the death gives his age as 59, thus a birth date of about 1852, matching the birth date of Charles POPE as given in the 1861 census
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/91039889

I can't find immigration for either Richard POPE or for this Charles POPE.

All VERY tenuous but there is nothing which would preclude this person.

As I said - probably not useful......

Judith
Edit to add: Richard's mother was Jenefer rather than the Jane given by the informant on his death certificate; however someone knew him well enough to know his father's name and a good approximation of his mother's name.

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 March 20 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you judb. I was thinking along the same lines, that perhaps a brother of Richard Pope ended up with the album. Long shot, but....

The album has turned up in a museum in Western Australia.  We have no record of how it came to us, or when. I think it surfaced when a lot of items had to be moved for renovations.

I probably should have said actually, that I am still leaning towards to the Pope family because they were in the goldfields of WA and the album is only a few hundred km away.

Burt - Cornwall, Lancashire, Essex
Rayner - Middlesex, Essex
Franklin - Essex
Freestone - Cambridgeshire
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Sellers - Scotland, Vic, Australia
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia
Williams - Cornwall and Lancashire

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 March 20 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you sparret!

That John Pearn has a Tasmanian connection. After his wife Mabel died he went to Tasmania and remarried. (The notice named him as John Pearn of Pithara WA). Will investigate further. Thank you.
Franklin - Essex
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 March 20 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Richard POPE died in late May 1904 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/209356689?searchTerm=%22richard%20pope%22&searchLimits=sortby=dateAsc|||l-state=Western+Australia|||l-decade=190|||l-year=1904

A newspaper article about his funeral calls him Charles Pope   https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/90117777?searchTerm=%22charles%20pope%22&searchLimits=sortby=dateAsc|||l-state=Western+Australia|||l-decade=190|||l-year=1904

And a notice from Mr and Mrs Charles Pope thanking friends during their recent bereavement    https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/209356683?searchTerm=%22charles%20pope%22&searchLimits=sortby=dateAsc|||l-state=Western+Australia|||l-decade=190|||l-year=1904

Time to follow this family.
Franklin - Essex
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 March 20 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I suspect it was a grandchild of Mrs Charles Pope who handed in the album since the PEARN family were not related to them. Mrs Charles POPE may have been Rosetta who died in Kalgoorlie at the age of 98 in 1968.

The album may mean more to the grandchildren of the PEARNS who were in WA?

Essie

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 March 20 11:30 GMT (UK) »
That's correct Essie. I am trying to track some down now, I would say that the Pope descendants saw no relevance in the album as none of the photos were named. 
Franklin - Essex
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 March 20 00:07 GMT (UK) »
I notice that there are only three with the PEARN surname currently listed in the White Pages, in Western Australia. 

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 March 20 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Maybe to get a start on descendants of the PEARN family in Western Australia, you could try this line.

Caroline Ida PEARN was   the daughter of John PEARN and Mabel nee SLOBOM. She died 1991
She married Edmund MONKS. He died in 1969
This couple had a son who married in 1952
There were children.

You will find this site helpful in locating some names which you can follow up. You can locate MONKS there using the alphabetical index.
https://www.dalwallinu.wa.gov.au/council/about-dalwallinu/pioneer-past-families.aspx

Google and the phone book will assist. ;)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ghostgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 March 20 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sparret - had just found two daughters to the son when your message came through. Unfortunately may be difficult to find them  if they married but it's a good start.

Caroline's sister Eva also had a son, so I will try and follow his line as well.
Franklin - Essex
Lodge - Essex
Soutar - Scotland
Blobel - Australia
Kluge - Australia