Author Topic: state of emergency  (Read 7566 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: state of emergency
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 14 March 20 12:31 GMT (UK) »
I did my normal 2 week asda shop yesterday and was amazed at the lack of pasta - all shapes!
and most of the tins of baked beans/spaghetti had gone too.  Customers trolleys were piled with kitchen roll presumably in lieu of toilet roll as there was none of that either.  This is a huge asda too. 

Oh well we're all in it together.  It's comforting to know you can still chat safely online about concerns in communities such as this  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 14 March 20 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone tried to do an online grocery shop, I have just looked at one store and there are no available slots for 3 weeks  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 14 March 20 13:34 GMT (UK) »

I'm clearing the greenhouse out today, - and shall be planting lots of seeds!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 14 March 20 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I ordered online Thursday morning and my order was delivered Friday morning just after 9am. One or two items missing including loo roll  ;D. Ordered just one frozen item and it had thawed when it was delivered. The shop sells lots of freezer food but I definitely won't be ordering anymore frozen food. On the whole I'm really pleased with my order as I don't usually shop online for food/household items.

I did look at the 'S' shop delivery slots and there were none available for ages.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 14 March 20 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Supermarkets here have been restricting the numbers of essential items that each person can purchase for a couple of weeks. It has been reduced over the past week and I think it is now down to one pack of kitchen paper, toilet rolls, pasta, rice (depending on weight I think) ... I am not sure what is on the rest of the list.

I think this is fair and gives more people a chance to purchase items they need. I managed to buy a large packet of toilet paper last week which I shared between family members as I already had sufficient. Sadly, some people are taking advantage of this situation and selling it online, presumably at a profit.

News websites and social media are making it worse by whipping people up into a frenzy - today I even saw a stockpile shopping list for a family of four for two weeks which astoundingly included 8 kg of pasta and 5kg of rice and a kilo of sugar!
  :o

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 14 March 20 14:05 GMT (UK) »

Skoosh     

Around here Lloyds sell the soap bars.     

There is also TGel shampoo ( T for Tar? )     

R
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 14 March 20 14:17 GMT (UK) »
  Pasta, rice and sugar - no wonder we are all overweight! (Though I don't eat any of those and I am still a bit overweight. ::)) I suppose if your household includes two teenage boys you might need all that.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 14 March 20 14:32 GMT (UK) »
@ Ray, no doubt they sell them here also but might be thought as panic buying!  ;D
 The soap smells like Laphroaig so pretty scrubbed up lately.

Skoosh.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 14 March 20 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Supermarkets here have been restricting the numbers of essential items that each person can purchase for a couple of weeks. It has been reduced over the past week and I think it is now down to one pack of kitchen paper, toilet rolls, pasta, rice (depending on weight I think) ... I am not sure what is on the rest of the list.

I think this is fair and gives more people a chance to purchase items they need. I managed to buy a large packet of toilet paper last week which I shared between family members as I already had sufficient. Sadly, some people are taking advantage of this situation and selling it online, presumably at a profit.

News websites and social media are making it worse by whipping people up into a frenzy - today I even saw a stockpile shopping list for a family of four for two weeks which astoundingly included 8 kg of pasta and 5kg of rice and a kilo of sugar!
  :o

I usually buy a 5kg bag of pasta.  One adult and 2 children.  It lasts a lot longer than 4 weeks usually.  Although I may use more if I run out of fresh potatoes. 

I have an absolute fear of being found to have no food in the house, long story how it started.  For well over a year now I have been buying a couple of extra items with each weekly shop to build up a stock.  Not to extreme couponing standards.  I made a list of what I wanted in my store and worked down the list buying one of each to the point I could afford each week, and then back to top of list and so on.  My kitchen cupboards are stocked from my store and the shopping replenishes that.  I have a powercut kit too, have done for some time due to the number of power cuts we get.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others