Author Topic: state of emergency  (Read 7580 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: state of emergency
« Reply #99 on: Sunday 15 March 20 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Oh GS what a dilemma for you and so sorry to hear you're daughters still so unwell. I'm sure having Jan with you for moral support and help will cause you less anxiety but it's not easy for any of us oldies at the moment.
I'd love to see my two grandsons in the flesh but accept that it's going to be FaceTime only for the foreseeable future.
I'm afraid that social media has a great deal to answer for in terms of duff information and spreading of untruths to those that use it.... RC is the only form of social media I use and as it's sensible people on here it's fine!
Hope your daughter can have her op on 26th and it all goes to plan for you all.
Take care and make sure you're not out and about to be rounded up by men with sticks.... I'll look out for them next time I venture out!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Sunday 15 March 20 08:45 GMT (UK) »
The idea as I understand is to keep over-70s safe while the wave of virus washes over the rest of us. In terms of the practicalities I have more questions than answers at the moment. So sorry to hear about your circumstances GS, and I do hope that none of this gets in the way of your daughter’s surgery and recovery.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Sunday 15 March 20 09:23 GMT (UK) »
GS I hope all goes well with your daughter's operation and that she makes a speedy recovery. That is wonderful that Groom is coming to stay for a bit to help and support you.

It sounds like your worst nightmare being ORDERED to remain in your home for 4 months. We have two older relatives who have no one else but us to support them one aged 80 and the other 91. Neither of them has the internet so online shopping is out of the question.

Will this apply to all over 70's - The Royal Family, House of Lords, House of Parliament and so on? If so our Country will come to an absolute standstill. Never mind the impact of the virus.

My O/H has just commented (on his way out to get some fresh veg and walk the dog) that the over 70's are the most sensible group around in his opinion.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Sunday 15 March 20 09:36 GMT (UK) »
My daughter gets married in three months - am I to be barred from walking her down the aisle? I go to the gym three times a week and have a decent walk every day; house arrest would be injurious to my health and without doubt would have massively negative consequences for those in the targeted age group.

I am not a criminal and should not be treated as such. The Government should issue a clear statement that this ludicrous plan will not be implemented.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Sunday 15 March 20 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Aboard his play-street bright touring lorry
The Pop Man’s goods were displayed
Corona was once a childhood treat
With favourites like lemon or cherryade
An early glass recycling advocate
His heavy bottle could be returned
The legend on the back of the label
Promised thruppence would be earned
Now Coronavirus engenders suspicion
Keeps us locked away in fear
Wanting minimum social interaction
Fellow man please don’t come near
Panic buying has gone viral
Hand hygiene has become intense
For a handshake may be a Judas kiss
Betraying your body’s defence
A stark juxtaposition between the present
And when a day was just a plaything
As I look through self isolation’s window
And wonder what the morning may bring…

Roger

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Sunday 15 March 20 09:43 GMT (UK) »
sonofthom - sorry to say, but Matt Hancock has confirmed this morning on Sky News that it will be implemented.They have not yet said when, or for how long, but he has said that the length of time required will be “very long”.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 15 March 20 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear that your daughter is unwell Greensleeves during these already uncertain times.

Amusing and thoughtful poem Despair.

Just heard the news about isolation. Absolutely panicking now though I at least do have a husband to keep me sane! Surely if we are fit and well, as we both are, we could be excluded from this directive?

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 15 March 20 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Love the poem despair.

Looking more likely that you will ne under house arrest at the time of your daughter's wedding sonofthom.

Just seen a news item stating that baby Archie will be coming over from Canada to holiday with the Queen this summer. Different rules ?? Surely HM is in as much danger as the rest of us.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Sunday 15 March 20 09:56 GMT (UK) »
I didn't watch him but I am not prepared to be cowed by despotism. Any such attempt to impose house arrest on all people in such a a large group would be fraught with difficulties, would cause immense problems and would be deeply injurious to that group. It would be complete madness of the Government to try to impose this.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.