Author Topic: Email browsers  (Read 1867 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Email browsers
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 March 20 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Well I have no idea what I've done but Thunderbird suddenly started working.  I decided I would try Mailspring as suggested by Midase and while that was downloading, Thunderbird downloaded a few emails.  Let's hope it continues working properly.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 March 20 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I did have the updated version - it's been updating for sometime now, even though it's not working properly.  So I uninstalled that and downloaded an older version 60.6.1 but it's still not working.  I did wonder if the problem was because the access had somehow changed to imap rather than pop and also the I don't remember the Authentication method being OAuth2.  I can't remember what it used to be but OAuth2 just looks wrong.

They are my settings...

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 March 20 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Well I have no idea what I've done but Thunderbird suddenly started working.  I decided I would try Mailspring as suggested by Midase and while that was downloading, Thunderbird downloaded a few emails.  Let's hope it continues working properly.

Yes, T/bird will do all the settings for you be it imap or pop etc, Port No   

Whatever your setting are set to is what T/bird needs!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 March 20 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm now back with the settings like you have and after over 48 hours of tearing my hair out, Thunderbird suddenly decided to start working and is now downloading lots of emails.  I really don't understand computers at all  ::)  Perhaps it was because I'd decided to download Mailspring and it got jealous  ;).  In any case, Mailspring didn't work either.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 15 March 20 14:10 GMT (UK) »

8)

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure whether Thunderbird allows you to alter the type of connection (pop/imap), I've a feeling when I tried to do the same, I had to completely delete the connection and re-add it with the type I wanted.

That is a bit bizarre though. Is it still on imap? Perhaps there was an issue with just your account and it's all suddenly started working again?

I know you're going to be tempted to leave things now they are working again, but don't forget if you're still on the older version of Thunderbird, there is a new edition which supposedly addresses fetching new emails when there is an imap server and using oauth2 security.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm still on imap.  When I googled to see how I could solve the problem, it seemed as though it has been an ongoing problem for a few years now.  It has just updated itself again, so I guess everything should work OK for now.  Fingers crossed.

I've just looked at Thunderbird Release Notes and the top item under "FIXED" is Problem with Google authentication (OAuth2) - so it would seem there was a problem which after many complaints on Thunderbird's website has been fixed.  Earlier they were suggesting the problem was with Google, but who knows whether it's Thunderbird or Google who've fixed the problem.

Offline confusion

• RootsChat Senior
  • I was born poor - and still have all of it
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 March 20 21:03 GMT (UK) »

This Thunderbird problem with (IMAP) connections may well be connected to the
updated TLSv1.3 problem that has recently been found with Firefox.
Willey, Berry, Cox, Davis, Haddock, Hutton, Griffiths/Griffin, Tanner - Worcestershire
Cox, Dudley, Harris, Moore, Neville, Payne - Warwickshire
Chambers, Douds, Dryden, Given, Hamilton, Hassan, McPherson, McWhirter, Simpson, Taggart, Vauls, Whiteside - Ireland/Scotland, Northumberland
Challis, Halls, Heady, Grove, Lawrence - Essex
Foxwell, Imm, Ward - Gloucesteshire
Heady, Collis, Griffin - Hertfordshire
Hurling - Middlesex
Willey, Imm - Monmouthshire
Imm, Hamilton, Hedge, Majury, Sollis - US

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 March 20 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I didn't think Mozilla and therefore Firefox were connected any more.  I don't understand what the problem was but it seemed to have something to do with Google.