Author Topic: Email browsers  (Read 1869 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Email browsers
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 March 20 18:23 GMT (UK) »

If you go to your downloads folder, how many T/birds are there?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 March 20 18:34 GMT (UK) »

Should only be one.... any others can/may cause conflict.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 March 20 19:24 GMT (UK) »
For a Free one, try Mailspring.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 March 20 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Only one downloaded.  In fact I actually uninstalled Thunderbird yesterday and then installed an older version to see if that would work but it didn't. 

Thank you Midase - I'll have a look at that.

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 March 20 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Which version of Thunderbird are you using? There was recent fix to resolve an issue with "Get New Messages for All Accounts" not working for OAuth2-authenticated IMAP accounts. The latest edition is 68.6.0.

I use Thunderbird quite happily with gmail, but I access it as pop3 rather than imap.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 March 20 12:45 GMT (UK) »
I did have the updated version - it's been updating for sometime now, even though it's not working properly.  So I uninstalled that and downloaded an older version 60.6.1 but it's still not working.  I did wonder if the problem was because the access had somehow changed to imap rather than pop and also the I don't remember the Authentication method being OAuth2.  I can't remember what it used to be but OAuth2 just looks wrong.

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 March 20 12:50 GMT (UK) »
If you go to your downloads folder, how many T/birds are there?

Should only be one.... any others can/may cause conflict.

The Downloads folder contains just that, stuff that has been downloaded via the browser but not necessarily installed. There's nothing wrong with having multiple versions of the Thunderbird installer in the Downloads folder and not experience any email server connection issues.

Thunderbird is pretty good at checking what is already installed so will typically overwrite any previous installation, so the user does not have multiple instances of the email client installed if different versions of the installer file is run.

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 March 20 12:56 GMT (UK) »
My settings are:

Server Name: pop.gmail.com
Port: 995
UserName: <email address>@gmail.com

Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Authentication Method: Normal Password

This lets me download emails into Thunderbird for keeping, but I can still access the emails online through a browser.

If you think the Authentication Method is wrong, then try changing it to Normal Password and see if it makes any difference? If not, then perhaps delete the connection and set it up as pop rather than imap if you think that is also incorrect? Unless you have other devices which access the same email account.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 March 20 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Angus - I tried changing the settings to match the ones you have, which look like the settings I used to have, but above them and unchangeable it shows IMAP Mail Server.  Anyway I tried using the settings you have and then I got a message stating IMAP server was down!

So I closed Thunderbird when I re-opened it, the settings had all reverted to the IMap ones.  I clicked on Get Messages and a google page came up for me to log into.  This started happening yesterday, I never had to log into Google to get messages downloaded before.  I logged in as requested and a page came up stating Mozilla Thunderbird Email wants to access your Google Account xxxxx@gmail.com.  This will allow Mozilla Thunderbird Email to "Read, compose, send and permanently delete all your email from Gmail.   If you click allow this will enable this app and Google to use your information in accordance with their respective privacy policies.  You can change this and other Account Permissions at any time.  If I click on Allow, then I get the same authentication failure while connecting to server imap.gmail.com - the whole thing is ridiculous.