Author Topic: death in tenerife how do i find info  (Read 6203 times)

Offline JosieJosie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: death in tenerife how do i find info
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 March 20 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If you have a Find My Past subscription you should find it on there. If not (as it is expensive) Go to Manchester Central Library (think that they are close at the mo because of the virus,so you may have to hold on a while.) Or ,if someone with a subscription will be kind enough to look for you.
Only reason I know this is that I spent several frustrating months looking for someone only to find that they has died in Tunis, so no record here! Other thing is if you could find their next of kin and they are still living write to them or (as someone has suggested) obtain a copy of their next of kin's will and write to one of the beneficiary's
Good Luck
Josie

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 March 20 16:26 GMT (UK) »
It says in my post that I'm looking for my friend ( her mother ) my friend is her next of kin

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 March 20 19:29 GMT (UK) »
I cannot see any other way for your friend to get a copy of her mum's death cert other than ordering unfortunately. There is a cost (38.72 Euros plus postage) when ordering it online from the link Sam put up earlier. Ordering it online is straightforward to do, having looked at the form.

I think this service is being offered by a third party is conjuction with the Spanish registry offices.

Having looked at the relevant registry office www.registrocivil.es/info/santa-cruz-de-tenerife/santa-cruz-de-tenerife/ it seems to be more expensive to order through them directly :-\ 45 euros plus postage it seems.

Josie, you mentioned Find My Past for records. I can only see the data set 'British Armed Forces And Overseas Deaths And Burials', Madrid, Spain. Not many there for this period of 2004 (56 results).

oldhippyone, Find My Past is free to register on. You could do a name search to see if anything shows maybe?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JosieJosie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 March 20 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica.  As I live in Manchester it was easy for me to go into the family history section ( Closed at the moment) and print off the details of my Tunis death from there. I also got a copy of his widows will from the probate office (£3) and wrote to the main beneficiary.
Overseas deaths are a bit of a challenge!
Josie

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 March 20 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Why not give teh crematorium a try - web address is listed under "cremation" on this page - https://www.tenerife-information-centre.com/death-in-tenerife.html

In Spanish but you could send a request for information - https://www.servisa.es/es/atencion-cliente/solicite-informacion. Otherwise address & phone Dirección:
CARRETERA General las Arenas PUERTO DE LA CRUZ
CP: 38400
Teléfono: 922 374 641

Also worth getting advice from British people who live on island maybe they can help
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/forumdisplay.php?105-English-Forums

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 March 20 10:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't spek Spanish and it would cost a fortune to phone them but thanks ,,,, I will just give up as im not really getting anywhere ,

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 20 March 20 10:27 GMT (UK) »
You could contact the Eglish forum (link I gave you in last post)

You could also contact English online paper which may be able to help. Can only search recent editions online, but you could send them an email and ask).

I have looked again, but nothing. Quite a number of balcony deaths in Los Cristianos and other parts of mainland Spain.

If you want I can try, but obviously need more details.

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 20 March 20 10:35 GMT (UK) »
thank you her name was Margaret dingley  birth 1941living at carnwath lankarkshire , her death was on holiday at los christianos , Tenerife 5th January 2004  , she was on holiday over there for xmas , and all my friend was told by her dad was she fell over a balcony and was cremated over there and never took ashes home to Scotland .. she said she thinks there was a inquest and if I can find that it probly would be informative ,, thank you for helping as I am getting no where in my own research

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 20 March 20 10:40 GMT (UK) »
I'll see what I can do