Author Topic: death in tenerife how do i find info  (Read 6254 times)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: death in tenerife how do i find info
« Reply #27 on: Friday 20 March 20 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I've sent a couple of requests, but I suspect that now is not a good time, since there are now over 1000 deaths from Coronavirus in Spain. Did Margaret have a middle name at all ?

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 20 March 20 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Her birth name was Margaret Stirling   lamb born in govan  and married into the dingley family in the 60,s ,and you have her last place of abode  and thank you

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 21 March 20 16:08 GMT (UK) »
As I have mentioned to you via PM, Spanish death certs will not include cause of death. They are very comprehensive in terms of many particulars relating to the deceased, including burial/cremation details but do not include cause of death.

Cause of death is included in the Certificate of Death at the time the death is verified by a doctor and this certificate is issued to be given the registrars. Very much like we have in this country, referred to the Green Form. In the UK there can be no registration or burial without it.

Your friend, not surprisingly, I would imagine wants to find out the details surrounding her mother's death. The only source may be to investigate how to try to source a copy of the inquest report in Tenerife. Not sure how easy this will be to be honest. This area can become super complicated.

But you need to start somewhere and getting a copy of her mother's death certificate is the way to start. There is no reason why your friend can't send a letter to the relevant Register Office. Sam, do you know which one? There are a number on the Island. At least 2 in Los Cristianos:

Juzgado (Registro Civil)
    Avenida Juan Carlos
    Telephone: 922 787860

Oficina Registro Civil
    Avenida Chayofita
    Telephone: 922 747300

Monica

PS: A copy of the death certificate should be free when ordered direct for the registrar.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 21 March 20 16:46 GMT (UK) »
This is the link which I sent you the other day which is a great aide if you are filling out the electronic order form:

https://thegenealogycorner.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/how-to-order-a-spanish-death-certificate-from-the-spanish-registry-office.pdf

Taking on board the key details that should be included on any request for a copy of a death reg, these are the details your friend should consider including in her letter with her request. More info is required because she does not have a copy of the death cert or the references for it:

Full name of her mother, including maiden name.
Her maternal grandparents' full names
Her dad's full details
When and where her mother was born

What details she has on her mother's death. Death, date, place etc.

The fact that her mother was cremated on the Island

Your friend's full details to include:

Her full name
Correspondence address
Telephone number, including international dialing code for the UK
Email address if she has one
Passport number and where/when issued.

She needs to state:

That she would like the Certificate to be posted to her to the address she has given

That she would like a 'literal' copy of the Certificate. This is a stamped photocopy of the original certificate

We are on hand to help where we can  :) I am bilingual with Spanish and can help with any translations, although I think dealing with Tenerife, many people speak English fluently really.

Monica

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 21 March 20 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

I've already done whay you suggested that behalf of oldhippyone and am waiting for a response with hopefully a "lteral" copy, since it was probably after closing Fri I sent it (with time difference). Will let you know what happens in the response.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 21 March 20 17:12 GMT (UK) »
That is great, Sam. Well done for stepping in  :)

Just to also add. I did do a search on Newsbank for any newspaper stories at that time. This includes Scottish papers like the Daily Record in the right year, but failed to find something. Not conclusive that there is nothing there, just I couldn't find anything  :-[

Nothing in the Herald either - www.heraldscotland.com/search/?search=dingley&sort=relevance&headline_only=false&site_id[]=308&posted_date=custom&posted_date_from=&posted_date_to=&p=2&pp=20

The Carluke and Lanark Gazettes might be two titles to try with the Carnwath location. Nothing on line for them for then but your friend would need to check in the reference library nearby for microfilm copies of older issues. Likely libraries are closed currently??

Monica

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the help .. it is appreciated,, although my friend is from Scotland as was her parents and grandparents she no longer lives in Scotland but is now in north east England so cant go to library near her home town to search hence me doing on line research  again thank you , for all the help

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 22 March 20 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I have used the Lanark Library archive services before re a search for someone on RootsChat www.whatsonlanarkshire.co.uk/listings/lanark-library/

I know that they hold back copies on microfilm for the Carluke Gazette (likely the Lanark Gazette too). You could try making phone or email enquiries?  You have the date of Margaret Dingley's death to narrow down any searches.

Whilst libraries are shut to the public, they may well be open for email and phone enquiries? You would need to check.

Monica

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 22 March 20 17:10 GMT (UK) »
I will Google the number and call them in morning but I doubt if they be open , but thank you