Author Topic: Hilston’s Station  (Read 1539 times)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hilston’s Station
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 March 20 06:03 GMT (UK) »
I live in Charters Towers so if i can be of any help with his time here let me know and will see what i can find. According to the burial records he does not have a headstone otherwise i would have gone to the cemetery for a photo.

QLD Death reg.
Jacob Verbach
Death date  14/08/1936
Mother's name
Father/  name:John Conrad Verbach
Registration details:1936/C/3018

Also in the National archives site there is a reference for a John Verbach for a improved potato digger. Not sure if this is any interest to you but if so can be found on the below link.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/BasicSearch.aspx

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 March 20 07:22 GMT (UK) »
I am unsure how much information you have about the family.
Perhaps it is only this particular piece of information you are seeking.

However, the probate application at the death of his mother Elizabeth VORBACH in Victoria in 1895 makes interesting reading including a terribly sad account by her grandaughter of the details death by drowning in a shipwreck.

The will of his father, John, 1901 makes mention of Jacob VORBACH as a recipient of a share in his estate.
Also mentions John VORBACH another son in NZ.
https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/wills-and-probates

This biography of John VORBACH in New Zealand speaks of his 91st birthday in 1937.
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NEM19370724.2.8

I wonder if it was he who made the potato machine.. The article speaks of his inventions.

Interesting family ;D

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 March 20 08:12 GMT (UK) »
I am unsure how much information you have about the family.
Perhaps it is only this particular piece of information you are seeking.

However, the probate application at the death of his mother Elizabeth VORBACH in Victoria in 1895 makes interesting reading including a terribly sad account by her grandaughter of the details death by drowning in a shipwreck.

The will of his father, John, 1901 makes mention of Jacob VORBACH as a recipient of a share in his estate.
Also mentions John VORBACH another son in NZ.
https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/wills-and-probates

This biography of John VORBACH in New Zealand speaks of his 91st birthday in 1937.
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NEM19370724.2.8

I wonder if it was he who made the potato machine.. The article speaks of his inventions.

Interesting family ;D

Sue

Yes, the potato machine was John’s invention. The listing can be found on NAA.

I don’t see Jacob mentioned in the 1901 will. I see most left to son Phillip, the grand children and if anything left over to John in NZ and his married daughter Sophia. Am I reading a different will?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 March 20 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes Jamjar.
You are perfectly right in saying that Jacob is not mentioned in the will.

It was in the probate documents connected with his wife Elizabeth's estate that he was listed as a son.

It is good to have my error corrected.

Jacob seems to have been distanced from family at an early age.

Sue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 March 20 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I have skimmed through several of my copies of 1878 NSW Electoral rolls for  some rural districts ... not found him.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 March 20 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I’ve hit a brick wall.

I am looking for a property. Called Hilston’s Station I think it’s in NSW but could be wrong. I believe it is a property and not a railway station as my ancestor was a threshing machine operator. This information comes from a dead letter notice in the paper in 1879. Unfortunately this is all I have.

Thank you in advance.

May  I add to JJ's reply ....

And what newspaper ... perhaps a live link to the digitised article?

JM

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article223121372

Here is the link 😀

Thanks,

NSW Government Gazette
General Post Office,  Sydney, 15 May 1879.
No. 10
List of Letters Returned from the Country and now lying at this Office, unclaimed.

Starting at page 2787  -Ship Letters
Starting in the far right column at page 2790 – Colonial Letters

So at page 2790, and clearly a ‘Ship Letter’  there was a letter that had been returned back to the GPO, Sydney back from regional NSW (‘Country’) that had not been delivered/collected by the addressee.   So a letter that had originated outside of NSW and had arrived originally ‘by ship’ – from another colony or from further abroad -  had initially been sorted in Sydney NSW and sent to the ‘Country’ … it was addressed to a Jacob VORBACH, Hilston’s Stn.   

In Greville’s Post Office Directory for 1875, under HILLSTON, there’s quite a number of selectors and their pastoral runs are named.  NONE of those runs are named ‘Hilston’ or variations, it is not a surname listing either.   There is no one listed with the surname VORBACH or any variation on that.  There is no one listed as a threshing machine operator.   That same directory notes that HILLSTON was a settlement in the police, electoral, and pastoral district of The Lachlan, county of Ashburnham, 359 miles west from Sydney.  It was wholly a pastoral district.   So for example: James BOOTH was a selector, Priory station;  William BUDD, A SQUATTER, Hyandra;  William DUNN, mail contractor,   A Freeman, station manager, Cowl Cowl, A WARDE, station manager, Merrowe…     

So in 1875, the directory spelling is HILLSTON  (as in two ‘l’).   

From my offline resources, it seems there was NO railway line in the area until many years later, probably after WWI.   

I have also checked the 1878 electoral roll for THE LACHLAN, … nope, nothing for any of the likely surnames there.

Threshing Machine Operator ... horse drawn or bullock? 

JM

Hi JM,
thank you for all your research. Jacob is a real mystery he seemed to leave home one day never to be heard from again.

I am only guessing that the machine was horse drawn but I really have no idea sorry.

Thanks

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 March 20 21:38 GMT (UK) »

Hi JM,
thank you for all your research. Jacob is a real mystery he seemed to leave home one day never to be heard from again.

A careful reading of the documents of administration in the estate of Elizabeth VORBACH will confirm exactly that.
https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/wills-and-probates.

Elizabeth VORBACH
Choose to download-
Series number VPRS 28
Consignment number P 0000
Unit number 1036

Look at pages 8 and 9

Background to the admin details. John VORBACH husband of Elizabeth had been granted administration at the time of her death by drowning in 1894 but had failed to administer.
At his death in 1901, the son Philip applied for administration and this is what the documents are dealing with.

In the affidavit on pages 8 to 9, a statement regarding Jacob is made to the effect he left around 1879 and was considered deceased by family. There are other details.

Sue

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 11:53 GMT (UK) »

Hi JM,

A careful reading of the documents of administration in the estate of Elizabeth VORBACH will confirm exactly that.
https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/wills-and-probates.

Elizabeth VORBACH
Choose to download-
Series number VPRS 28
Consignment number P 0000
Unit number 1036

Look at pages 8 and 9

Background to the admin details. John VORBACH husband of Elizabeth had been granted administration at the time of her death by drowning in 1894 but had failed to administer.
At his death in 1901, the son Philip applied for administration and this is what the documents are dealing with.

In the affidavit on pages 8 to 9, a statement regarding Jacob is made to the effect he left around 1879 and was considered deceased by family. There are other details.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Thank you for the link. Glad I am able to confirm my theory that they presumed he was dead.

I hope I can find out where he travelled to as I feel like I need to tell his story.

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I live in Charters Towers so if i can be of any help with his time here let me know and will see what i can find. According to the burial records he does not have a headstone otherwise i would have gone to the cemetery for a photo.

QLD Death reg.
Jacob Verbach
Death date  14/08/1936
Mother's name
Father/  name:John Conrad Verbach
Registration details:1936/C/3018

Also in the National archives site there is a reference for a John Verbach for a improved potato digger. Not sure if this is any interest to you but if so can be found on the below link.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/BasicSearch.aspx

Hi, thank you so much for you offer. It took us many years to find out where he died it was only recently that we found him. We did contact the nursing home that he died but they did not have records of him there sadly. I have never searched records in QLD before but I was having a look at the public records to see if I can find a will or probate or anything else about him but I was not having much luck (I don't think I was searching the site correctly). Do you have much knowledge of the pubic record system in QLD?

I was also going to contact the cemetery/council to see if I can find out who brought the plot that he was buried or if it was just a public plot, hence why there is no headstone.

Haha yes I believe John was living in NZ so I am a bit confused why it was registered here something I will have to look further into.

Thank you,
Kez