Author Topic: VE Day Celebration at Whitley Bay 8 May 2020  (Read 392 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
VE Day Celebration at Whitley Bay 8 May 2020
« on: Monday 16 March 20 19:03 GMT (UK) »
There is going to be a VE Day Celebration at the Spanish City Plaza, Whitley Bay on Friday 8 May 2020, 1300 - 1600 hours.  A range of entertainment, stalls  and activities will be taking place.

Then in line with the rest of the country the last post will sound at 1455 and at 1500 a Nation's Toast will be held to mark the exact moment 75 years after Churchill proclaimed the end of the War.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: VE Day Celebration at Whitley Bay 8 May 2020
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 March 20 21:07 GMT (UK) »
I would think it might well be cancelled, RTL.

Best to check nearer the time  :-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: VE Day Celebration at Whitley Bay 8 May 2020
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have now read that they are 'reviewing' the event, but that it is 'likely' to be cancelled.  However, it seems that other planned events around North Tyneside won't be cancelled altogether but postponed until later this year.  I suppose with the VE event it is somewhat different as if it did not take place on the special date it would somewhat lose the momentum.

It is very disappointing but I understand this is a proactive cautionary measure to limit the spread.   

I have read that the World Health Organisation say that 80% of those who get the virus will only experience this in a mild form. 

However,  social distancing, such as what is now taking place in my area (e.g. libraries are now closed) is thought to be a proactive way to limit the spread so that it will be easier to meet the care needs of the more vulnerable who might pick up the virus.

Incidentally, I have come across this very interesting American article about the benefits of social distancing at this time, (whilst staying connected and occupied during waiting this out):

https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/shutting-down-coronavirus-right-reaction

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner