Author Topic: John Newton Johnson  (Read 645 times)

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Newton Johnson
« on: Tuesday 17 March 20 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can give me any advice on the above person

John Newton Johnson was born 1917 in England.   I know he went to South Africa  and during  WW2 was in the military at 44 Air School Grahamstown.  The family had very little contact but it would appear he never married according to a letter he wrote.

After the war he remained in South Africa and the last contact is a letter is 1965 and the address is
Roseneath, Umkomaas, S Coast, Natal, South Africa.

I looked on records on Ancestry for South Africa looking for a death or perhaps a voters list but no success.  If he went by John Johnson the odds of seeing if he passed in South Africa are probably very remote.  I found two John Newton Johnsons in South Africa but neither of them fit date wise and  there is no way it is him..
I also looked at some online South African records but again no success.

Any advice appreciated  but I have the feeling it is pretty much a dead end.

Jim

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Newton Johnson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 18:20 GMT (UK) »
I can’t help with your query but am adding the following info in case it helps with any elimination if a record is found

He was born in Bradford - mothers maiden name Newton.   Parents John Humphrey Johnson & Margaret Newton?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 March 20 08:11 GMT (UK) »
There is a death in the Cape Province in 1959 that is tempting - unfortunately  not on-line so you would need to contact the Cape Archives for a copy.
DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MOOC                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 6/9/24778                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 2614/59                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          JOHNSON, JOHN NEWTON. ESTATE PAPERS.                                 
STARTING  19590000                                                             
ENDING    19590000
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 March 20 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gillian

The John Newton Johnson I am looking for last contact was a letter written in 1965 .
I have no idea of his where abouts after that and in 1965 he would of been 48 so he may of lived into the 2000s.

I found 3 John Newton Johnsons in South Africa and not could be him as the dates were to far out.

Jim

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 March 20 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Could he perhaps have gone to the United States?  I see that there are a few John Newton Johnson's there in their records.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods