Author Topic: Whitesides and McLeans  (Read 1092 times)

Offline danielok

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whitesides and McLeans
« on: Tuesday 17 March 20 17:08 GMT (UK) »
My grandpa was called James McLean Whiteside (1947-2007) his parents were Jessie (*)1923-? and James (*)1921-?
I was wondering if you could tell me about there parents and family. Otherwise I would've used scotlandspeople but I dont have credits.
James married Margaret (*) in 1969 and they had one daughter, they broke up in 1978 and divorced fully in 1980.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Alexander, Cluderay, Whiteside, Smillie, White

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Whitesides and McLeans
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Neither you nor anyone else will be able to access these records online, even if people had credits they were willing to spend on your behalf, because all these events are after the cut-off dates for online access (100 years for births, 75 years for marriages and 50 years for deaths).

You can use the index at Scotland's People without having to buy credits to find the marriage of James Whiteside and Jessie McLean, which will be available online, and the death of Jessie McLean or Whiteside  (if she died in Scotland) because she will be indexed under both her maiden and her married surnames.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 21:51 GMT (UK) »
You need to purchase certificates, starting with the birth and marriage of James McLean Whiteside.

From where did you get, Jessie McLean 1923-? and James Whiteside 1921-?

There is only one marriage with the name combinations:

WHITESIDE JAMES CUNNINGHAM to MCLEAN JANE CARFRAY 1945 578/1 66 Ayr

Births:

WHITESIDE JAMES CUNNINGHAM 1923 583/2 11 Rankinston

MCLEAN JANET CARFRAY 1927 578/1 446 Ayr

WHITESIDE JAMES MCLEAN 1947 595/ 1702 Irvine

Deaths:

WHITESIDE JAMES CUNNINGHAM 66 mmn CUNNINGHAM 1989 680/ 796 Ayr

WHITESIDE JANET CARFRAY 67 mmn CARFRAY 1994 680/ 700 Ayr

WHITESIDE JAMES MCLEAN 60 mmn MCLEAN 2008 680/ 243 Ayr

Marriage:

WHITESIDE JAMES MCLEAN to SMILLIE MARGARET C C 1969 578/ 91 Ayr

Second marriage:

WHITESIDE MARGARET CAMPBELL to ALEXANDER HUGH 1980 680/ 477 Ayr

Daughter of a James and Margaret, birth, marriage and death:

WHITESIDE MAUREEN 1971 578/ 184 Ayr

WHITESIDE MAUREEN to STUART JOHN RAMAGE 1992 680/ 308 Ayr
ALEXANDER MAUREEN to STUART JOHN RAMAGE 1992 680/ 308 Ayr

WHITESIDE MAUREEN 41 mmn SMILLIE 2012 681/ 7 Ayr
STUART MAUREEN 41 SMILLIE  2012 681/ 7 Ayr

Did your grandfather have a relative BROWNLIE?

As an aside, credits on SP cost money and you can’t expect others to use their credits on your behalf. If you are serious about working out your family tree, you will find that you will need to be spending money on records, at some time during your search. SP is free to search for records, you can do it as easily as we do.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 00:20 GMT (UK) »
There is only one marriage fitting for the folks of Janet Carfray:

MCLEAN ROBERT HOGG to CARFRAY JANET CAMPBELL 1919 578/1 157 Ayr

Possible deaths:

MCLEAN ROBERT HOGG 74 mmn WILSON 1975 680/ 490 Ayr

MCLEAN JANET CAMPBELL 80 mmn CAMPBELL 1982 680/ 451 Ayr
CARFRAY JANET CAMPBELL 80 mmn CAMPBELL 1982 680/ 451Ayr

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Have just found this marriage, with a Jessie:

WHITESIDE CLAUDE G JAMES to GIBSON JESSIE F 1921 578/1 217 Ayr

I can see no connection to the MCLEAN name.

Jamjar

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 01:05 GMT (UK) »
to danielok, I am related by marriage to the Smillie family of Ardrossan and Saltcoats area of North Ayrshire but you would need to give me much more details, preferably privately, before I could reveal family details as they are still living.  Joe Smillie of Ardrossan (dec'd) married Helena Hair of Saltcoats (dec'd) just after the end of WW2.  They had daughters named (*)(born 1947).  Is it the same family ?

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 01:16 GMT (UK) »

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that link.   I don't know the origins of my Joe Smillie except that he was best man at my father-in-law's marriage, John Hair to Rachel Williamson of Glasgow, and he married John's sister Helena.  All four are now deceased and buried in Ardrossan Cemetery.  The TV presenter Carol Smillie I believe was a change of spelling from Smellie.  I vaguely remember Smellie's the auctioneers in Ayr and one of the family took over a Hotel on Carrick Road oppo St. Leonard's Road, possibly Rosebank ?
I supplied and fitted some catering kitchen appliances for them and remember being corrected when I addressed them as Smelly, not Smiley.  I thought then if they were so touchy they would do better to change it by Deed Poll.  My Joe Smillie maybe had connections to them, Ayrshire is not so big a place and I believe Joe was a fellow soldier of John Hair's in WW2. (Trooper John Hair, SAS, Croix de Guerre) and the Hairs had connections in Mauchline Mill near Tarbolton as well as Saltcoats.  There's only one of my wife's sisters who might know more because she is 73 and of the same age group as her cousins Margaret and May but we won't see her until the current virus scares are relaxed.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline danieloks2ndaccount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 March 20 13:27 GMT (UK) »
This is danielok I lost my other account, Jamjar that sounds about right as I know my grandfathers mothers father was Robert McLean, don't know about him having a brownlie relative as when my gran and grandpa divorced we never saw him again we never even went to his cremation.