Author Topic: place name  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Re: place name
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 22:49 GMT (UK) »
That is him born 1830, wife is Joanna Robertson, she died a few years before him, can't find her either must be after 1911.
I will have to go back into S.P and look at what I have put away.  However I do have his death as Senile decay and date.
1911 Census states eight children born and two still living, 42 George Street, Couper Angus, Scotland.   The second child must be John, Mary Ann was still alive as she married Edward MacCullum.
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 23:05 GMT (UK) »
There's a death of a Joanna Milne or Robertson, 77, in Scotstoun and Yoker in 1914.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Good eyes correct age.  Mind me not knowing where is this place, still Angus?  Could very well be living with her son.
Just looking over death notices on the British News Paper Archive.  Boy what a process to narrow down.  Sadly nothing coming up at this point.  I will continue.
Thanks for Joanna, Sounds like her, she was born 1837.

And far too many to add

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Good eyes correct age.  Mind me not knowing where is this place, still Angus?
Nowhere near Angus - it's on the Clyde estuary in Dunbartonshire.

Just looking over death notices on the British News Paper Archive.  Boy what a process to narrow down.  Sadly nothing coming up at this point.  I will continue.
I did have a look there but found nothing.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 March 20 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Scotstoun and Yoker (on the north side of R.Clyde) had been part of Renfrewshire which is to the south of R.Clyde.
Yoker is in the west of Glasgow and has the boundary with Clydebank(Dunbartonshire).
Scotstoun is east of Yoker and wholly in Glasgow.
I think the present set-up came about early 1900's.
jcmac. 

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 March 20 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
 I had just gone over my notes, and certain this will be the correct Joanna for death place, as her daughter Mary married a man who was born in Scotstoun.  However the family did move about quite a bit being part of the shipping industry.

And far too many to add

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 March 20 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Scotstoun and Yoker (on the north side of R.Clyde) had been part of Renfrewshire which is to the south of R.Clyde.
Yoker is in the west of Glasgow and has the boundary with Clydebank(Dunbartonshire).
Scotstoun is east of Yoker and wholly in Glasgow.
I think the present set-up came about early 1900's.
I stand corrected, but how may times have I cursed all those late 20th century reorganisations for causing confusion about where places are/were.

You are perfectly correct, but in the mid-19th century Yoker was in fact (only just!) in the parish of New Kilpatrick in Dunbartonshire while Yoker Mains and Yoker Lodge, and Scotstoun, were indeed in an enclave of Renfrewshire.
See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.89111&lon=-4.38234&layers=5&b=1

By the end of the 29th century, however, Yoker village had expanded across the parish/county boundary, so that most of the village was in the Renfrewshire enclave.
See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.89144&lon=-4.38681&layers=168&b=1