Author Topic: State of emergency Covid 19 (Part 3)  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: State of emergency Covid 19 (Part 3)
« Reply #144 on: Friday 20 March 20 13:48 GMT (UK) »
@ Viktoria, too much kissin in Italy mebbes? the Glesga Kiss was usually far too brief for a virus encounter! Sorry to hear about yer wee dug, sounds like the Queen Elizabeth I's Syndrome?  ;D

Dr Halliday Sutherland reported that the lighthouse keepers on an island in the Baltic were killed by the great pandemic. They had no human contact whatsoever, as their log confirmed, but had been visited by migrating geese shortly before which grazed the grass right down!

Skoosh.

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Friday 20 March 20 14:19 GMT (UK) »
We had to queue outside the chemist to get OH's prescription yesterday.  Luckily it wasn't too cold and not raining but nobody minded.  They were letting two people in at a time.  One man appeared just as the assistant opened the door to let the next people in.  The conversation went:

Asst:  I'm sorry, you have to queue.
Man:  I'm only here to arrange for my father's medication to be delivered.
Asst:  Oh, I'm sorry.  We can't take on any further deliveries.  We are chocka block.
Man:  But my father is 88.
Asst:  So are a lot of people.
Man:  So how is my father supposed to get him meds?
Asst:  Er - could you collect them for him?
Man (very begrudgingly):  Oh, well, I suppose so.  As I'm here.

I am hearing the good and bad in so many people.  One moment I am optimistic that community spirit is improving and the next I'm disheartened. 

But the worst thing so far was that poor ambulance driver on the news who had worked a double shift and called into a supermarket at the end of her shift to find empty shelves.  She was in tears saying she couldn't even have a healthy meal and she was starving.  I just wanted to cook something for her and pass it through the TV.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Friday 20 March 20 14:29 GMT (UK) »
But the worst thing so far was that poor ambulance driver on the news who had worked a double shift and called into a supermarket at the end of her shift to find empty shelves.  She was in tears saying she couldn't even have a healthy meal and she was starving.  I just wanted to cook something for her and pass it through the TV.

They played that to the health secretary on TV this morning, and his response was that maybe supermarkets should set aside an hour for key workers, as for the elderly. Surely anyone with half a brain can see that many, if not most of these key workers are doing shift work, or long and unsociable hours, and they're not all going to want to go the supermarket at the same time. Or is the plan that all hospitals close down for a couple of hours so that the staff can go shopping?

A much better solution would be for supermarkets to make up emergency food packs and keep them off the shop floor, so that key workers can pick them up when they're going off shift. It can't be that hard, can it?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Friday 20 March 20 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Warm sun on the garden seat
Cherry tree coming in to bloom
Tadpoles wriggling in the pond
Birds in bright voice and plume
Wind blowing the cobwebs away
Scented flowers with colourful rays
The Spring Equinox reminds us
Of more carefree radiant days

Roger

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Friday 20 March 20 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Oh how right Jillruss is.
 We really do need action now to stop the greed and selfishness of those who, for some reason or other, have a vastly over-developed sense of entitlement and that their need is somehow greater than that of everyone else. We have recently been treated to an NHS worker in tears because at the end of her shift she was unable to buy what she needed/wanted. Why is it in Italy no such stupidity is being seen?.
It is time that some form of rationing was brought in. I would suggest that ration cards are issued with so much expenditure on each dependant on the size of the family being bought for - so much for singles, then so much for two persons, three, four but I'm not sure what the maximum would need to be but I would suggest eight.
The cards would need to be produced at the check-out and would be limited to one shop a week. Therefore the responsibility on what is bought is placed on the shopper which is preferable to specifying the quantity and type of items being bought because there is no shortage.
The attempts of the supermarkets to use specific shopping times for older/at risk shoppers appears to have failed dismally with failure to enforce "the rules".
In the meantime, my garden is starting to look good. Also, the rivers are dropping and a dry week is forecast for next week.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Friday 20 March 20 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Found this old recipe in my very very very old Be-Ro Flour recipe book.
G
Milk Fadge, yes fadge not fudge!
1 lb S.R flour
1 tsp salt
2 oz lard
Half pint of milk,(  Might  need a drop more)
Sift flour and salt together.
Rub in lard.
Add milk
Make into two portions.
Roll out to about one inch thick thickness.
On to greased baking sheet.
Bake at 350 -375 ,reg 4-5  for 30 mins.

It is nice still a bit warm, butter and jam.
I will make some , but half at a time as it does not keep very well.

Just a thought if bread becomes a problem , but some are having problems obtaining SR flour, must look up,what proportion of raising agent  makes Plain become S.R.
Lots of plain in Tesco’s yesterday.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Friday 20 March 20 14:36 GMT (UK) »
The daughter of a friend of mine has insisted that he go and stay with her in Bournemouth, on the grounds that he is VERY, VERY old (he's in his 70s).

So he is down there - but she won't let him go out! He's hoping to be released occasionally for good behaviour.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Friday 20 March 20 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I have heard that a (I think, local) restaurant has been cooking meals and sending them to their local hospital for the NHS staff.  I think I heard he was making 50 meals per day and would continue for as long as necessary.  That warmed my heart.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Friday 20 March 20 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Some positive news, the petrol station next to my work has offered us all a free tank of fuel this week to help us continue to get to work.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others