Author Topic: Positive Ideas of How to keep entertained at home  (Read 3633 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Positive Ideas of How to keep entertained at home
« Reply #36 on: Monday 23 March 20 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Oh brilliant - thanks so much for that Scotmum.  Just up my street and will be nice to be able to use my rusty mapping skills again. 

Ha ha JenB - how frustrating to lose your Hungarian trip.  I tried selecting Iceland and 'stealth' earlier and found myself on a boat surrounded by icebergs - the scenery was fantastic so it was a shame I had to go out and never found out where the boat was going.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paintedlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 23 March 20 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Well I am knitting baby clothes for premature babies for the hospitals and its very therapeautic knowing you are helping that way. I also have lots of unread books to read, videos, DVDs, jig saws, CD's to listen to, adult colouring books and fibre tips and of course the internet which is a boon you can look at places all over the world on Google Earth site.  So keep happy and keep the faith whatever you like to do xx

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 23 March 20 20:59 GMT (UK) »

I'm just relaxing and waiting for Match of the Day.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 05:31 GMT (UK) »
I went out and bought a notebook today (my pre lock down panic shop) and have stared my Covid 19 Lockdown journal.

I decided to do it in pencil so I could rub out, and thank goodness. I am already admitting my handwriting, which I am desperately trying to keep at least uniform, could well be an example of something that will be posted on a site like this asking for help transcribing! (Assuming it doesn’t get thrown away (most likely by me  ;D).

I thought I wouldn’t have much to say. Then I realised it would be useful to describe where everyone was on the day, who they all are, things we had done leading up to it. To introduce my wider circle of friends and relations (incase they have to be mentioned later) etc so now I am wondering if I should have bought TWO notebooks.

guest189040

« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Make two Bucket Lists, one for things you want to do now whilst these restrictions are in place and another for post Covid19 activities.

Go to the Future Learn website and see if there are any free courses that they have that may be of interest to you.

Exercise mind and body daily.

Stay safe.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 16:39 GMT (UK) »
The Daily Telegraph has started to insert 4 pages of puzzles daily; 2 days in and my little pile is growing steadily!  Our walk was combined with a visit to the shop for milk, and we've been gardening this aft.  Still full of ideas of what to do, the house is going to be so decluttered that we won't recognise it!  The point is, do one job per day and not ALL day.  We have 30-45 mins of activity after breakfast, have coffee and read for an hour.  Then exercise/activity for another 45-60 minutes, then a go at the jigsaw puzzle before lunch.  After lunch, a short rest to allow it to go down, no more than 1.5 hours of activity before settling down to a seated activity.  I get to wander around the kitchen for 30-40 minutes preparing dinner (I'm now starting to try those recipes that I've been collecting for years!) and then TV.  That way, we keep our hearts exercised, and our brains and have enough different activities through the day to keep us from feeling bored.  And we haven't even broken open the Scrabble yet!
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Free and fascinating - tune in to one of the many amazing wildlife webcams!

Having followed the peregrines at Norwich Cathedral a few years ago, I started following an osprey nestcam at Loch Arkaig last year and got totally hooked on these wonderful birds. The Woodland Trust has a number of nestcams throughout the UK - the Lock Arkaig link is https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/osprey-cam/
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 26 March 20 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Saw this earlier on BBC News page - The Rainfall Rescue Project is seeking volunteers to help digitise old handwritten records pertaining to rainfall:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52040822?fbclid=IwAR0PnMrs-gR_4WX2q2PBIYrdt3mVJe7gJ2kl-M0km2mylKY5GzzABYhUbCo

There's a link in the artical to log on and you can download scanned copies of handwritten documents which then need to be recorded digitally onto their database.

Might be of interest for those looking for 'something different' to do!

Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 26 March 20 15:16 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to get my hubby to clear out the garage whilst we're self isolating.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You should start cleaning out the garage  ..................that will get him moving on the cleaning very quickly.