Author Topic: Pre 1851 Census conundrum  (Read 2172 times)

Offline andgalcas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 1851 Census conundrum
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 March 20 17:37 GMT (UK) »
The only family of Wilson in Glasgow in 1841 with a possible chance of an Elizabeth b c 1835/6 in Bryony has a family headed by an Alexander 40 and Mary 30 both born Ireland?
Keyboard86

I also thought that could be them but they appear in the 1851 census as same family unit so rules them out. Do you agree?

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 20 March 20 17:39 GMT (UK) »
 :) Back to square 1!

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 March 20 10:46 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have found Elizabeth Wilson ;D

On the basis that she was 15 in 1851, took a guess that she may have got married in Aberdeen between 1855 and 1861, since she doesn't appear with her mother in 1861.

Elizabeth Wilson, 22, dressmaker, married John Mitchell, 24, mason, on 31 Dec 1858 in Aberdeen St Nicholas. Elizabeth's parents are noted as George Wilson, whip maker (deceased) and Mary Ann Wilson, ms Gray.

Here they are in 1861, with John Mitchell's family:

65 Broad Street, St Nicholas

MITCHELL Agnes, Head, W, F, 50, Late Dressmaker, Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen
MITCHELL John, Son, M, M, 26, Mason, Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen           
MITCHELL Elizabeth, Daulaw, M, F, 23, Lanarkshire - Glasgow

MITCHELL Isobell, Dau, U, F, 24, Comb Finisher, Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen
MITCHELL Caroline, Dau, U, F, 22, Yarn Stretcher, Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen
MITCHELL Mary, Dau, U, F, 20, Linen Weaver, Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen
MITCHELL James, Son, U, M, 18, Apprentice Mason, Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen
MITCHELL John, Grnson, -, M, 1, Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen

The grandson above is their son John:

John Mitchell, 25 Sep 1859, Aberdeen St Nicholas; Father: John Mitchell; Mother: Elizabeth Wilson

They had another son, George Wilson Mitchell, who was born 14 Apr 1862, Aberdeen St Nicholas, who appears to have died the following year.

Elizabeth Wilson died on 24 Feb 1863 in Aberdeen, aged 27. Her parents are again given as George Wilson, whip maker (deceased) and Mary Wilson, ms Gray.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 March 20 11:09 GMT (UK) »
It's a good job 'whip maker' is such an unusual occupation  ;D - I think this must be the family in 1841 in Aberdeen Greyfriars:

West North St

Wilson, Geo, 42, Whip Maker, Outside county
Wilson, Mary, 32, Outside county
Wilson, Richd, 8, Outside county
Wilson, Elizabeth, 6, Outside county
Wilson, Martha, 11m, Aberdeenshire

I wonder what happened to the other children?

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline andgalcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 March 20 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have found Elizabeth Wilson ;D

On the basis that she was 15 in 1851, took a guess that she may have got married in Aberdeen between 1855 and 1861, since she doesn't appear with her mother in 1861.

Elizabeth Wilson, 22, dressmaker, married John Mitchell, 24, mason, on 31 Dec 1858 in Aberdeen St Nicholas. Elizabeth's parents are noted as George Wilson, whip maker (deceased) and Mary Ann Wilson, ms Gray.

Here they are in 1861, with John Mitchell's family:

65 Broad Street, St Nicholas

MITCHELL Agnes, Head, W, F, 50, Late Dressmaker, Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen
MITCHELL John, Son, M, M, 26, Mason, Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen           
MITCHELL Elizabeth, Daulaw, M, F, 23, Lanarkshire - Glasgow

MITCHELL Isobell, Dau, U, F, 24, Comb Finisher, Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen
MITCHELL Caroline, Dau, U, F, 22, Yarn Stretcher, Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen
MITCHELL Mary, Dau, U, F, 20, Linen Weaver, Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen
MITCHELL James, Son, U, M, 18, Apprentice Mason, Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen
MITCHELL John, Grnson, -, M, 1, Aberdeenshire - Aberdeen

The grandson above is their son John:

John Mitchell, 25 Sep 1859, Aberdeen St Nicholas; Father: John Mitchell; Mother: Elizabeth Wilson

They had another son, George Wilson Mitchell, who was born 14 Apr 1862, Aberdeen St Nicholas, who appears to have died the following year.

Elizabeth Wilson died on 24 Feb 1863 in Aberdeen, aged 27. Her parents are again given as George Wilson, whip maker (deceased) and Mary Wilson, ms Gray.

Ruth

I think you may be right! Well done and thank you so much!

Details would fit with possible sibling to Henry posted earlier by Monica:

John HARROWER
ROBERT HARROWER/MARY GRAY
13/9/1853
28/10/1853
Aberdeen, St Mary's with St Peter's

Time to further investigate...

Thanks!

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 March 20 11:38 GMT (UK) »
And this must be the marriage of Robert Harrower and Mary Gray - bit of a mis-transcription of Robert's surname, but still:

Mary Gray/Robert Hanower - 8 Mar 1844, Aberdeen (from SP)

Now there is a death on SP of a George Wilson, aged 43, in Aberdeen in 1842, which I guess could conceivably be our George Wilson. And there's also a death for a Martha Wilson, aged 2, relative George Wilson in July 1840, which doesn't completely tie up with the age given in the census a month earlier, but still.

I love it when all the pieces start coming together  ;D

Ruth

Offline andgalcas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 March 20 13:15 GMT (UK) »
And this must be the marriage of Robert Harrower and Mary Gray - bit of a mis-transcription of Robert's surname, but still:

Mary Gray/Robert Hanower - 8 Mar 1844, Aberdeen (from SP)

Now there is a death on SP of a George Wilson, aged 43, in Aberdeen in 1842, which I guess could conceivably be our George Wilson. And there's also a death for a Martha Wilson, aged 2, relative George Wilson in July 1840, which doesn't completely tie up with the age given in the census a month earlier, but still.

I love it when all the pieces start coming together  ;D

Ruth

Ruth, this is fantastic! This has definitely got to be the right families. Do you agree? I will log on to SP now and get the records to add to my tree ;)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 21 March 20 14:17 GMT (UK) »
I've been wondering about Robert Harrower, and although I can't find a baptism for him - or find him at all in the 1841 census, I can't help feeling he must belong to this family who are in the same part of Aberdeen as Robert in 1851 and 1861, and are also there in 1841. There's also some name similarities, particularly Robert and Henry:

Knight Harrower (seaman), b. 1793 to Robert Harrower and Margaret Lyon, in Newburgh, Fife.
Married Margaret Moir in 1818 in Aberdeen.
Children of this couple who appear in the baptism records (with various surname spellings!):
- Henry Jamieson Harrower b. 1829, Aberdeen
- James Harrower b. 1834, Aberdeen
- Nancy(Agnes) Philip Harrower b. 1836, Aberdeen
- Mary Harrower b. 1839, Aberdeen

There is also an Isabel Harrower (b. abt 1825) in the 1841 census with her mother and siblings. If Robert is a son of this couple, his birth around 1820 would fit quite nicely.

Ruth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 21 March 20 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Ruth, well done for finding that marriage for Robert and Mary. Helps so much here in firming up what we have been finding so far. Also, for delving further into Mary Gray and her first marriage.

I agree re Knight Harrower and family. Like with you, he kept on cropping up in my searches yseterday. Such a great name, hard to miss  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk