Author Topic: Potential marriage details for a Marriage by Licence 1824 St Andrews, Holborn  (Read 470 times)

Offline dragonlady403

• RootsChat Senior
  • Reaching through the Mists of Time
    • View Profile
Hi there, I am wondering if someone is available to assist who has a more in-depth knowledge of the above subject and location? 

I have tracked down a Marriage by Licence for Robert Morris and Apollonia Pritchard 6 Jul 1824 at St Andrew's Anglican Church in Holborn Middlesex. (I have seen the copy of the register showing it was a Licence marriage.)

I understand that licence marriages are registered in separate registers (from marriages by banns) - but am now unsure of how much more I could discover about them, other than what I already have??

I am trying to confirm the parentage for both individuals (She is apparently from Shrewsbury, Shropshire, and he is from Halton, Cheshire... which may be why they were married by licence (i.e. out of area).

So--- my question is: would there be any more information available in the St Andrew's parish marriage records on those two people than what I already have?

As always -GREATLY APPRECIATE any assistance, guidance etc!!
Regards, Carol
Johnston - New Zealand; Scotland
Brookes - New Zealand; England
Morris- Liverpool Lancs, UK; New Zealand
Hatter - Wiltshire UK; Otago New Zealand
Ainslie & Strachan - Midlothian, Scotland; New Zealand
Paull -St Agnes, St Columb Minor Parish Cornwall; South Africa; New Zealand
Gould & Reece- Stroud, Gloucestershire UK; New Zealand
Oakly - Australia, NZ; UK
Downes -UK; Australia; NZ
Kinghorn - Jamaica; England; Scotland
Murphy - County Kerry, Ireland; NZ

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Potential marriage details for a Marriage by Licence 1824 St Andrews, Holborn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 20 18:08 GMT (UK) »
The image on Ancestry is the only parish-register entry available for this marriage (there are no bishop’s transcripts for St Andrew Holborn at this date).

The licence was issued by the Archbishop of Canterbury, through the Faculty Office, on 6 July 1824 (same day as the marriage). Relatively few licences survive.

The allegation associated with the application for the licence may possibly add something, but this series of records is not online. In practice, there is no access to them at present, because Lambeth Palace Library (who hold the originals) and the Society of Genealogists library (who hold the microfilm) are both closed. If you have access to an LDS Family History Center or affiliated library (if any are still open?) you may be able to access a digital image onsite.

The link below explains Canterbury licences - see especially para. 3. In practice, you are likely to get a father’s name only if one of the spouses was under 21 and needed parental consent. There will be no bond in 1824, so there won’t even be the name of a bondsman to follow up.

https://www.lambethpalacelibrary.org/sites/default/files/Marriage_Records_0.pdf

Sorry to sound so negative, but perhaps it would be more profitable to focus research efforts on Shropshire and Cheshire instead?

ADDED – it was not the norm to record marriages by banns and by licence in different registers. St Andrew Holborn is unusual in doing this, and the separation continued only up to 1812.

Offline dragonlady403

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Potential marriage details for a Marriage by Licence 1824 St Andrews, Holborn
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 March 20 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your thoughtful and very information/useful response Bookbox:)

I have read through the information you have provided and reviewed the attachment with regard to the Allegation etc. so I, at least, have a better understanding of what an Allegation is. 

In answer to your question - yes there is an LDS Family History Centre not far from me so, conceptually, I could drop by to see if they have the Allegation on microfiche - when the COVID-19  situation settles down.

Fortunately, I could also "manage" another visit to one of my fav cities to visit Lambeth Palace in person (a new experience for me) - again, when things settle down.

I remain hopeful that I can locate more info about the families of these two people eventually!

Thanks again for your kind assistance:)
Regards, Carol

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 March 20 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen what I assume is her burial

http://www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk/St%20Mary's%20Kirkdale/Burials%20St%20Mary's%20Kirkdale%201863.htm

the remarks column has the names John & Apollonia Pritchard - perhaps her parents??
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dragonlady403

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 March 20 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bearkat, thanks for that.  :D

Yes, I had found that link a couple of days ago and also ordered a copy of her death cert to see if there was any further info (there wasn't). 

But yes, I also assumed the two people listed on the link were her parents. I was hoping to find confirmation of that via a marriage doc.

Census docs indicated she was born in Shrewsbury and I found a baptismal record for 1799 at St Julian's listing her name with a father John... so again, was merely hoping for a bit more info about "John and his wife".

Fortunately, she has quite a unique name which has made things easier - but I seem to have hit a dead-end with this info and am struggling to get back further - hence pinning my hopes on something like a marriage allegation etc.

Really appreciate you taking the time to assist!1
Regards, Carol

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 March 20 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the other PRITCHARD baptisms at St Julian's, Shrewsbury their parents seem to be John & Sarah  ??? ???
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dragonlady403

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 March 20 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Well - that's a good start:)  I mean how many Pritchards could be living in Shrewsbury with the name of John at the time???

Perhaps they used the child's name instead of the mother's christian name... I've seen that before on records.

Thanks:)  I will see if I can track down a maiden name for Mom!
Regards, Carol

Offline dragonlady403

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 March 20 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I found this link... it is the same church that Apollonia was christened in... timeline would be about right so seems plausible:
Name:    John Morris
Marriage Date:    3 Jun 1790
Marriage Place:    Saint Julian,Shrewsbury,Shropshire,England
Spouse:    Sarah Higisson
FHL Film Number:    510678

I will have a look at that:)  THANKS