Author Topic: Why are the over-70s in the UK still going out?  (Read 7465 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why are the over-70s in the UK still going out?
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 22 March 20 01:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm more angry about employers - like the company my son works for - who are still insisting that staff travel in and sit elbow-to-elbow with each other.  Their only response to Covid-19 has been to provide one bottle of hand sanitiser for each run of 10 desks. 

Their excuse is that they don't have enough equipment to facilitate home-working, yet they are a listed plc whose CEO took home over £1m last year.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 22 March 20 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Yesterday (Saturday), the police closed Bondi Beach in Sydney, due to the lack of "social distancing" by the YOUNG brigade taking no notice whatsoever regarding being not close to other people.

Also there were more than 500 people on the beach, in direct disobedience to the regulations.

Being young and part of the Me generation, they were not at all happy at being told to behave themselves.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 22 March 20 03:57 GMT (UK) »
I don’t think you can generalise about generations.
There are people in all age groups who seem to think they don’t have to comply with the directives.

I have a daughter (30) working from home in London. She has been doing so for the last three weeks, shouting at her flat mate who Insisted going to the pub, but has for the last week also complied.

And my son is only 26 he had only just started a new job in Madrid (taken so that he could improve his Spanish) fortunately he had also just managed to get a flat, but it is barely furnished, and is now where he is holed up, also working from home.  He is allowed out for groceries. They are checked on via drone which will shout at them if it thinks they are going further than they need to.

While we are in NZ. 

They worry about us and we worry about them.

Some people will get safely through it no matter how reckless they are, that is the nature of any disease, but they will never know how many people they infected along the way that perhaps did not survive.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 22 March 20 07:38 GMT (UK) »
I really would like to know what over 70's are supposed to do when they have to travel by bus to go out to look after a parent. Sadly I lost my 97 year old dad this time last year, but I and my sister were doing exactly that. Dad didn't have carers, didn't want them.

I shall be good and stay in. I have to say I'm glad dad is no longer here and we are not faced with the situation.

Right now my concern is for my children and grandchildren, especially my son who is a nurse.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 22 March 20 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Of course there are people of all ages who need to go out for good reasons.

Equally there are people of all ages behaving irresponsibly.

I agree with Trystan 100%. Those of us at most risk of needing hospital treatment are being urged to stay at home apart from self-distanced exercise TO PROTECT THE MEDICAL FACILITIES WE HAVE AVAILABLE.

How hard is that to understand?  In Italy a large number of doctors (young & fit) have died. Who will treat our children with chronic illnesses if NHS staff go under due to a huge wave of people being admitted who could have avoided or delayed it.

And as for all the comments about how resilient we elderly are - being 'bored silly', 'stir crazy' etc after LESS THAN A WEEK doesn't say much for your resilience.

I fear for my children and grandchildren and all those wonderful people who are delivering newspapers, groceries, medicines etc. to me so that I can stay safe. I'm pretty sure I will get the virus at some point but I want to do my bit to delay it so the system can cope.

Stop throwing your toys out of the pram. I'm not going to apologise for offending anyone, I've been offended by some of the unnecessary outrage on this thread.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 22 March 20 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Being "just" 66, I don't fall into the Over-70 category.
But I do have diabetes type 2.

Do I still go out?
Yes - but with social distancing ;D

I should point out that, so far, just 2 confirmed cases on the Isle of Man.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline PtE

• RootsChat Member
  • In knowledge lies wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 22 March 20 08:51 GMT (UK) »
my OH and I are both over 70 and have found ourselves in a difficult situation regarding the shopping. We visited our nearest superstore last week getting there at about 7.15 am, and the place was packed. We could buy 2 or 3 items of some products, but other products were completely sold out. So, on Sunday, I sat for over an hour on the PC ordering on-line and the earliest delivery slot was more than 3 weeks away. Anyway I compiled my order, but checking it a couple of days later many items were now being listed as unavailable and that they would be deleted from my order. So I thought, how is it that we are being told that the suppliers are stepping up their deliveries to the supermarkets and that manufacturers are increasing their production, but my supermarket seems to know what will be available in 3weeks time and what won't. Well, they don't, I originally ordered a particular brand of floss which was later deemed unavailable, so I chose an alternative brand. Two days later the alternative brand was unavailable but I could substitute it for the brand which I wanted in the first place!!
In a further effort to get some other commodities, OH and I queued at the local small supermarket which was only allowing pensioners and disabled in for the first hour of opening. Unfortunately many of the shelves were still empty from the day before, so our basket didn't contain much at all.
Goodness knows how we are supposed to stay at home for weeks when we can only obtain enough to live on for a few days at a time.

Have a good day everyone unless you have planned otherwise.

PtE
Bellingham Kent
Hope Kent
Love Kent
Simmons Kent
Bridgland Kent
Beslee Kent
Patterson Kent
Knott Kent

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 22 March 20 08:56 GMT (UK) »
The over-70s are not confined to barracks as it were and there is no guard on each of their homes. They can still go out for exercise and are asked to social distance whilst doing it Some of them will still need to shop and although the supermarkets are supposed to have set aside time for them it is not being enforced as was reported in the press and media yesterday.

Unlike in the two world wars when people all worked together and looked out for each other the world we live in is much more selfish and self-orientated as can be seen by looking at the shelves emptied by the panic buyers.

It will not be long before the government will have to bring in rationing because a large proportion of people are not listening to what they say.