Author Topic: George Adamson born 1910 Lockerbie  (Read 920 times)

Offline Yvie Teare

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
George Adamson born 1910 Lockerbie
« on: Sunday 22 March 20 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about Signalman George Adamson (my Grandfather) who was in 15 HQ Signals as a dispatch rider who joined the Army in 1940? I have his service no. and a little information from the local paper of where he served and his special service at the signing of the German surrender in Italy just before, sadly, his untimely death following a motorcycle accident on 5 June 1945. Many thanks if you have any info...?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Adamson born 1910 Lockerbie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 March 20 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Yvie.

Are you looking for general information about what he was doing before his death, or specific information on his marriage, parents etc?

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 March 20 19:09 GMT (UK) »
If you are looking for information on his army service the MoD still holds WW11 service records. You can apply for them and will need 30 quid, a copy of his death certificate and provide his birth date and/or his service number.
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 March 20 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too, Yvie  :)

A little more here in case you have not seen it there www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1717020/adamson,-george/

Also:

ADAMSON, GEORGE.
George Adamson – age 35– Signalman (2355065) 15 H.Q. Signals, Royal Corps of Signals.
George had his own business as a painter in Lockerbie when he joined the army in 1940. He served in North Africa, Malta, Sicily and Italy but was killed in a motor cycle accident while a dispatch rider.
Born 1910 in Dryfesdale. Son of Robert Graham Adamson and of Jane (Coupland or Gracie) Adamson of Lockerbie. Husband of Agnes Gibson (Gribbon or Henderson or Richardson) Adamson of Athol Cottage, Lockerbie who he married in 1934 in Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire.
Died on Service on 5 June 1945 and buried in Bologna War Cemetery, Italy.
Also named on the Dryfesdale Parish Church memorial in Lockerbie.

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ntopic661.html

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redwood1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 April 20 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for welcoming me and for replying with your helpful information. I am trying to find out about the (possibly BSA M20??) motorcycle/s that George used whilst in service as a dispatch rider in 15hq Signals - an awfully long trek which may or may not be fruitful I know!! I have got in touch with the RSM in the meantime explaining the mission we're undertaking... Is there something you may have knowledge of or where I may try to find any info please? I have asked War Records but they couldn't advise me...I am aware we are battling to stay safe at the moment and finding this information is non existent currently...staying hopeful on all accounts!! Thanks. :)