Author Topic: Video Calling with your friends and family - Step by Step  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Video Calling with your friends and family - Step by Step
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 April 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
excellent advice Trystan.

On a lighter note its a friend's 58th birthday today. I was having a text conversation with her this morning and she told me:

Just got what I think was supposed to be a video message from Mum and Dad but the camera was pointing at the carpet, was mostly them arguing about whether it was on or not and ended by them deciding they’d call later.

So they need to practise a bit but they'll get there, we can't always get things right first time :-)

Boo

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 April 20 12:13 BST (UK) »
Just tried the link, but was apparently too late to read it.  The Times message informed me that it had been free for a limited time, but if I wanted to read it now I would have to subscribe to the paper.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 April 20 13:45 BST (UK) »
Just tried the link, but was apparently too late to read it.  The Times message informed me that it had been free for a limited time, but if I wanted to read it now I would have to subscribe to the paper.

See Step-by-step guide: How to video call your family
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51968122

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 April 20 14:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stan, that's most helpful.  My choir uses Zoom for meetings, but I'm a little nervous about security on Zoom - lots of scare stories about that at present.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 13:23 BST (UK) »
our local U3A had a trial yesterday of a service by jitsi

https://meet.jit.si/

Worked quite well. I used a laptop but at least one of the people used a smart phone.

I have now set up a virtual meeting room for our gardening group. Very easy to do. The hardest bit will be persuading the members to try using it. As well as seeing and talking to the people in the "room" you can share items on your desktop, so you can show photos, documents, power points to everyone.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

guest189040

« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 April 20 11:03 BST (UK) »
I have used Skype very often and very successfully in the past.

We use Facetime to see our Daughter and Grandkids.

On Wednesday we used Zoom very successfully to hold a meeting of our U3A Ukulele Group.

This is the main system you see on the TV video clips, for private use it is free.

Simply Register on the website, (do make a written record of the details you use and do not allow the Computer to remember these details).

Then Download and install the App.

If you are holding the meeting click on hold and it gives you a Meeting Reference Number and a Password, pass these to the people who you want to join the meeting.  At the appointed time start up the meeting and accept those who have asked to join.

To join a meeting, click on Join, enter the Meeting Reference Number and click to Join.

Then enter Password and wait for the host to accept you.

Chat away.

There are controls in Settings (gearwheel symbol) in the App to test out your Video and Audio before you join the meeting and once live you can turn on and off video and audio if required by a click on the icons at bottom left of the window.

For our U3A Ukulele Group we chatted and when ready to play we would all mute our sound so that the instructor took the lead, set the tempo and sang and we all played along and sang at our homes.  We had to do it this way because there is a slight lag in speech and video which is not noticed when just talking but playing an instrument in time with others and the lag soon makes itself known.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 April 20 12:14 BST (UK) »
When I looked into using Zoom, I'm sure it said you only got 40 mins free. If you wanted a longer meeting you had to pay quite a hefty subscription.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

guest189040

« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 April 20 13:16 BST (UK) »
When I looked into using Zoom, I'm sure it said you only got 40 mins free. If you wanted a longer meeting you had to pay quite a hefty subscription.

We used it for an hour without a problem but yes 40 minutes is the listed freebie period.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 April 20 10:26 BST (UK) »
My granddaughter (6) read "The tiger who came to tea" for me on Whereby yesterday.  I think that her parents also use Whereby for business video conferencing, but it worked very well and simply for our conversation. Simplicity is essential for me!