Author Topic: Did you meet any of your great grandparents and did they help you with research?  (Read 2001 times)

Offline danieloks2ndaccount

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
This is just a fun question I wanted to ask, I have met one of my great grandparents and she is still here at 95. She is my mothers step fathers mother.
Also these are my great grandparents that I never met, also I have 10 because my maternal grandmother remarried in 1980.
Great grandma A: 1918-1995
Great grandpa A: 1910-2003
Great grandma B: 1919-1997
Great grandpa B: 1920-1943 (died in WWII at 22)
Great grandma C: 1922-2005
Great grandpa C: 1923-1996
Great grandma D: 1927-1994
Great grandpa D: 1923-1989
Great grandma E: 1925-Living (the 95 year old one)
Great grandpa E: 1921-1998

My living Great grandma helped me out a lot with her siblings, her spouses siblings and her parents and grandparents. My grandparents help me too.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
I only met one of my own grandparents much less great grandparents. Sadly Nan developed dementia just as I was reaching an age where I would have asked her more questions.

Offline danieloks2ndaccount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
My uncle had dementia and died nearly 2 years ago now April 2018

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Your great grandparents were the same generation as my parents. My last gt grandparent died 11 years before I was born. All my father's grandparents were dead before he was born.
GEDmatch M157477

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
I knew my father's mother and my mother's father, but they both died before I started researching the family.

Looking back, I realise that my paternal grandmother never spoke about any of her family other than her two brothers, both of whom I remember quite well, and their families. That was in spite of several of her cousins and their descendants still being alive and living in the same town!

She also tore out of the family albums any photographs with herself in them.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Never met my great grandparents and by the time I was 10 only had one grandparent left.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I was lucky to meet my grandparents and not for very long!
This question made me wonder so I checked

Of my eight Great Grandparents all were deceased before I was born and between 1886 and 1952! That's a 66 year period! One in every decade!

My paternal grandfather's parents died very young in 1886 & 1894
My maternal grandmother's parents lived into very old age and died in 1946 & 1952
although all born relatively closer together

Interesting to look at and I had never really thought about it
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
I am in photos with two of my g grandparents but as they died when I was 4 I can't say that I knew them.

One thing that had never struck me until I got in touch with a second cousin through Ancestry was how little contact I had had with my father's extended family. I have no idea why but my father seemed determined to break off contact with all but his sister. I didn't realise this until after both my parents had died.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile

I only met my paternal grandmother. I barely remember her although my older brother has some lovely memories of her.  I was very young when my father died and we had no further contact with my fathers family that I remember after his death.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins